About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Director of Communications & Events, the Associate Director of Digital Communications will have the responsibility for developing and implementing a comprehensive and strategic digital communication plan for the recruitment of a diverse undergraduate population. The Associate Director will work collaboratively within Enrollment Management to provide department-wide multimedia leadership and resources including but not limited to websites, social media, email marketing, video production, and photo management.
- (30%) Manage Enrollment Management (EM) Web Pages
- Provide general oversight of admissions, financial aid, visitor center and student blog content
- Update pages to maintain consistency of messaging, information, and branding
- Develop ideas for improved organization and new functionality that will enhance the user experience; incorporate those ideas as skills allow; create partnerships and with outside vendors to assist in large-scale projects as needed while keeping within a pre-determined budget
- Apply search engine optimization tactics to grow audience of targeted prospects
- Monitor web traffic and utilize analytics to determine most effective content and placement
- (30%) Manage e-communication
- Collaborate with EM colleagues to maximize use and effectiveness of CRM (Slate) messaging
- Build Slate campaigns, design messages as needed, coordinate sends, monitor recipient engagement
- Oversee EM social media platforms including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram
- Monitor engagement levels with an eye toward growing day-to-day audiences and their positive interactions with the University
- Devise editorial calendar and messaging; curate content from colleagues across campus
- Work with Director to develop an annual communication calendar that parallels admission cycles
- (20%) Produce Video Assets
- Assist in coordination of interviews and shoots as needed
- Shoot video for use on the website, social media, visitor center monitor, info sessions and events
- Edit video content and prepare for dissemination on appropriate platform
- Incorporate sound, graphics, text and images when needed
- Coordinate efforts and ensure brand consistency with University Relations when required
- Use best practices in obtaining permission from parties when relevant
- (10%) Introduce and Manage Departmental Photo Cataloging System
- Inventory and devise method for photo organization
- Tag and store photos and albums to allow for quick and intuitive searches
- (10%) Other Duties as Assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications or related field. A minimum of three (3) years of experience (can be concurrent) in marketing, digital/social media and website maintenance.
- Extensive experience with web content management systems to create and manage content.
- Proficient in video production with an understanding of appropriate acquisition and use of content
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills and the ability to manage multiple projects while exhibiting professionalism and a commitment to teamwork.
- Strong written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Sensitivity to multicultural and socioeconomic issues.
- Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as needed.
- Valid driver's license, proof of insurability plus the ability to obtain a university credit card.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Prior experience working with a Customer Relations Management (CRM) system.
- Demonstrated competency data analysis and translating goals into successful operating plans.
- Previous experience managing high volume of digital photography.
- Previous experience in higher education.
- Previous supervision experience.
Incumbent reports to the Director of Communications & Events. Individual must be able to create strategy, prioritize goals and formulate independent decisions regarding procedures and operations. Position works with all staff in Enrollment Management to execute plans and objectives in accordance with overall departmental goals.
Monday – Friday 8:30 – 5:00. Some weekends and nights are required.
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of December 21, 2018 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
To apply, please provide letter of application, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.