About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Research IT Software Specialist is responsible for programming, implementation, configuration, and security management for software applications managed under Research and Engagement – Research Information Technology, along with data integrity for campus research data reporting needs of administration faculty and staff and students.
- Coordinate and manage project implementation for Research and Engagement Grants and Compliance software applications and other software applications as assigned.
- Manage software user support function for software applications to resolve/prevent software issues. Correspond with vendor(s) and collaborate with UMass IT to resolve any system issues as appropriate.
- Responsible for computer programming to interface between external campus systems and internal Research Information Systems software. Maintenance of computer programs and documentation of use and workflow is also required.
- Responsible for use of data analytics software tools, such as Tableau and Sisense, for Research and Engagement research data reporting needs.
- Oversee the daily operations of the research software incident response procedures (Help Desk) and provide ongoing recommendations for improvements on processes and workflow.
- Document, assess and maintain research systems documentation on processes as required by campus information technology and audit requirements.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field plus 3 years progressively responsible experience; OR an equivalent combination of Education, Training, and Experience plus 3 years progressively responsible experience.
- Ability to perform long and short term Research IT project development, planning, implementation, and management.
- Ability to program for interface and system integration purposes along with and database related query building knowledge.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SQL, relational databases, and business intelligence analytics
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with enterprise research administration software, and interactive web-based tools.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple and emerging priorities. Ability to meet the demands of a complex environment where timeliness and availability of information is considered critical.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) and work positively and assertively with College faculty, staff, and students with diverse skills, priorities and from diverse backgrounds and with staff from central administrative departments such as campus central IT, as well as with vendors and outside service providers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, exercise good judgment and to make sound decisions.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience meeting demands of a complex production environment where system availability is mission critical. Must be able to plan and schedule migrations and updates to minimize impact on users. Must be able to troubleshoot and fix problems while communicating expected time to resolution under stressful conditions.
- Demonstrated experience with requirements gathering, including customer workflows and business processes
- Ability to learn new tools and processes quickly and without formal training.
May be required to work some nights & weekends.
Professional Staff Salary Administration Program Level 27
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin on March 31, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Required application materials include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.