About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Technical Support Consultant I assists members of the University community (students, staff and faculty) with a wide range of computing questions in person, via telephone/email, documenting all communications in the University's help request tracking system. Must use sound judgment when analyzing client questions in order to identify problems, and determine the appropriate strategies for troubleshooting these problems.
- Assist members of the University community with computing problems in order to effect the timely completion of their work. Requests for assistance are handled in person, via telephone, email, or internet chat. Provide efficient tier 1 support as a customer service representative for UMass IT. Use appropriate knowledge bases, or relevant research, to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems.
- Track and monitor help requests for quality control to ensure timely resolution of all requests and the highest levels of customer satisfaction. Document all support activity in the UMass IT tracking system
- Contribute in the development of User Services client support activities and delivery mechanisms, including the development of tools for use in User Services.
- Create and manage tutorial and training materials for internal use. Develop and present educational materials to members of the University.
- Contribute to the documentation of known issues in the IT knowledge base and supported activities on the IT website.
- Provide mentoring and supervision of student employees, in cooperation with the User Services Management Staff.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Keep current with the latest developments in technologies and techniques used in User Services. Maintain awareness of new technologies in equipment and software that will improve effectiveness across the enterprise. Keep current with industry best practices.
- Recognize and identify potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed. Work with the Assistant Director to implement appropriate changes.
- Provide feedback and recommendations for support materials for UMass IT services (e.g., online and print documentation; video tutorials; presentations).
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Communications, or related field with 2 years of experience in a fast paced technical customer service environment, or an Associate’s degree in IT, Communications, or related field with 4 years of experience in a fast paced technical customer service environment.
- IT-related customer service experience and experience with operating systems and platforms
- Valid driver's license.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience with MCSE, ACMT,A+
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
37.5 Hours M-F
Required to work some nights and some weekends.
PSU Level 25
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by April 30th 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.