About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Educational Technology Support Specialist will work as part of a team in Online Education’s eLearning unit to provide online instructor and student technical support and training throughout the annual production cycle(s) of online course development, delivery and management.
The position reports to the Associate Director of eLearning, who reports to the Senior Vice-Provost of Online Education.
- Provide technical support for Blackboard and other supported technologies for both faculty and student populations.
- Help develop and maintain instructor- and student- facing support documentation.
- Assist with application, software, service, and quality assurance testing.
- Provide logistical support and facilitation assistance during learning management system training cohorts.
- Deliver broad-based and just-in-time support content for online course development.
- Advance ongoing accessibility initiatives by assisting instructors in the creation of accessible online content.
- Coordinate regularly scheduled communications to online instructors.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with:
- Technical writing
- Instructional design
- Educational media and technology
- Providing technical support and customer service
- Creating technical support documentation
- Learning Management Systems used in higher education
- Multi-media technologies used for audio, video, screen capture and web conferencing
- High degree of comfort with technology.
- Must be a self-starter, detail-oriented, and possess a customer-service driven and team-oriented approach to work.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to: communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, work independently or in a team with multiple constituencies, manage time and multiple projects simultaneously, set and accomplish goals, meet deadlines.
- Understanding of both Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and personally identifiable information (PII) guidelines.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with Blackboard 9.x Learning Management System.
- This is a temporary, 1 year position.
- On-site position located on the UMass Amherst campus.
- M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 pm
- Some nights and weekends
- This is a temporary, non-benefited position
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit cover letter, resume and contact information for at least three references. Position is open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.