About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Oversees the total facility administration and management of Fine Arts Center multi-use venues for the presentation of a wide variety of performing arts, concerts, lectures, and special events. Oversees the Production Services Department and the Audience Services Department in the day-to-day operations, usage, scheduling, and maintenance of all Fine Arts Center facilities.
- Develops annual and long-range plans for all Fine Arts Center venues in order to meet the needs of artists, audiences, and the University of Massachusetts, and the goal of providing high quality services and facilities.
- Develops and implements strategies that support the plans and meets the goal.
- Represents the Fine Arts Center Audience Services and Production Services Departments to appropriate University committees, departments and Friends of the Fine Arts Center Board.
- Coordinates all renovations, improvements, and repairs to Fine Arts Center facilities and serves as liaison to other campus departments on construction, renovation or improvement projects that impact Fine Arts Center facilities.
- Develops, updates, and manages the Fine Arts Center Usage Policy on an annual basis. Oversees all facets of building security, maintenance, and on- and off-campus facility usage, insuring compliance with Fine Arts Center Usage Policy. Confirms bookings and coordinates facility schedules between and among administrative, technical, and front-of-house staffs in compliance with the Fine Arts Center Usage Policy.
- Oversees the Production Services Department in the execution of all technical aspects of event production and daily operations of Fine Arts Center facilities. Responsible for developing and managing annual budget. Directly supervises the Associate Director of Operations.
- Oversees the Audience Services Department in the execution of all front-of-house activities including scheduling and booking of venues, booking calendars, recruitment and training of volunteer ushers, custodial services and parking security for events. Directly supervises the Audience Services Manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s Degree in Production Management or Technical Theater and five years of experience working in a major performing arts venue in a large university setting or a Bachelor’s Degree and six years of experience in a major performing arts venue in a large university setting.
- General knowledge and experience in all aspects of performance production practice, technical theater and public assembly facility management. Enjoys training and mentoring student production teams.
- Possesses outstanding communication and people skills.
- Must be a team player and thrive in collaborative settings.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Significant manual skills, physical effort, and exposure to risks from heights, electricity, and stage rigging.
- Must be able to balance, carry, stand, bend, climb, reach, sit, twist and lift as needed for backstage operations, and be able to function in typical office environment.
37.5 hours per week. Typically, Monday – Friday, with an ability to work evening and weekend hours in support of performances and related activities.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will start on July 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Required application materials include a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.