UMass Amherst IT Computer Repair Technician
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
UMass Amherst IT is searching for a highly skilled and motivated computer technician to join our team. The ideal candidate for this position must have a strong understanding of enterprise class desktop operating systems, routinely thinks outside the box to solve problems quickly and understands what impeccable customer service is all about. The computer technician will also be responsible for repairing computers and performing technical and system diagnostics as required along with adhering to, and implementing, the UMass Amherst IT Data security requirements to keep the campus data secure.
- The applicant must be able to diagnose, repair, maintain and upgrade computer hardware/software and other supported devices to ensure optimal performance.
- Document, track, and monitor problems to ensure a timely resolution, which meets or exceeds the customers’ expectations and requirements.
Other duties as assigned by the management team or directors.
- High School Diploma
- Completion of one year technical or trade school in computer technology or electronics or equivalent work experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong knowledge of Windows and Apple workstations, associated peripherals, mobile devices, and fundamental operating principles
- Strong ability to collaborate effectively with other professionals in a cooperative team environment, sharing responsibilities and workload
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), must be able to relate effectively with all levels of personnel in the organization
- Ability to provide excellent customer service by relating with customers in a professional and courteous manner within a diverse group of technical and non-technical faculty, staff, students and vendors.
- Proven experience as computer technician or similar role
- Thorough knowledge of maintaining and repairing computer systems and related components
- Good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Exceptional organizing and time-management skills
- Relevant professional certifications for repairs of varieties of peripherals, computers, including Apple, Dell, and Lenovo preferred
- Relevant certifications (e.g. CompTIA A+) preferred
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Must be physically fit and be able to lift weight of up to 65 pounds to chest height.
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Some Off-Hour or weekend work may be required
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by October 18th, 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.