IT Contact Center Specialist
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The IT Contact Center Specialist assists members of the UMass Amherst community (students, staff and faculty) with a wide range of technology and IT account related questions in person, over the telephone, by email, through the web, or via chat. The IT Contact Center Specialist documents all user communications in User Services’ ticket tracking system and uses sound judgment when analyzing client questions in order to fulfill service requests and identify problems, determining appropriate strategies for troubleshooting/fulfillment and reassigning/referring the issue where appropriate.
- Provide timely responses to Information Technology requests for technical support and service received via telephone, e-mail, web, chat or walk-in.
- Provide or expedite the fulfillment of requests for service, or initiate corrective action and assist in coordinating resolution of issues, including but not limited to configuration of hardware, software, account management, telephony, IT services, or escalation or reassignment of ticket to appropriate staff and departments when necessary.
- Use appropriate knowledge bases, relevant research, and available tools to troubleshoot and resolve various technical problems or fulfill requests for service.
- Contribute to the IT knowledge base by writing and updating both publicly and privately facing documentation for supported software and services, among others.
- Comply with all of the policies and procedures associated with IT Service Management (ITSM).
- Document support activity, including communication, troubleshooting steps taken, issue resolution activities, and service request fulfillment procedures in ticket tracking system.
- Track and monitor unresolved problems, inquiries, requests, and tickets to ensure a timely resolution.
- Review work queues consistently throughout the day to prevent overdue and languishing tickets; escalate, reassign, and resolve as necessary.
- Participate in the planning and deployment of new and upgraded services.
- Maintain an awareness of advancements in technology, such as hardware, software, and services, that will impact effectiveness across the enterprise.
- Recognize and identify potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to work varying shifts
- 1 year experience in a customer service related field
- Experience with hardware, software, and services that are in general use within Higher Educational institutions.
- Ability to operate computer and peripheral equipment
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to troubleshoot problems
- Must possess strong organizational, oral communication, written communication, and customer service skills
- Ability to work successfully with diverse groups of technical and non-technical faculty, staff, vendors, and students
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate’s degree in Information Technology or a related field is preferred.
- Working evenings and weekends may be required, but not expected to exceed 25% of working hours.
- Supervision received from the Call Center Manager.
- Monday-Friday 37.5 hours per week Some nights and weekend work.
Special Instructions to Applicants
With your application, please include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references with contact information. Please submit your application by the priority deadline of October 24th 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.