About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Associate Bursar, manages the daily operation of the PeopleSoft Student Financials system and other Bursar's Office information systems. Performs complex data analyses of student billing and receivables data by developing queries and interpreting results for review by management.
- Runs production jobs for the Bursar's Office and reviews results for accuracy. Executes test plans to insure the accuracy and timeliness of student tuition and fees each semester, adhering to the strict deadlines of the Bursar's Office. Develops and maintains documentation for complex systems and procedures.
- Manages the accounting aspect of tuition and fee revenues and expenses through coordination, edits and updates of the items types for the PSSF system. Work closely with the Budget Office to implement any changes to the accounting structure of the item type codes.
- Manages the daily operation of the NelNet QuikPAY and Commerce Manager systems, which includes the UPay Payment Plan. Responsible for maintenance, troubleshooting and support of the e-commerce systems. Oversees daily reconciliation of student payment activity and general ledger updates for non-student payment activity. Test any software upgrades and enhancements. Insure reliable and consistent communication between the Bursar's Office, A&F Systems, and other departments with regard to the e-commerce software.
- Responsible for coordination and processing of daily transaction files. This includes posting charges and adjustments to student bills from external offices, including Residential Life, Library and Auxiliaries as well as internal files of data such as late fees.
- Uses various tools to analyze, maintain and run programs to update student data or to extract and interpret that data for reports, downloads, letters or other output.
- Develops and maintains productive, respectful and appropriate working relationships with co-workers, customers and staff in other areas, including but not limited to Registrar, Financial Aid, CPE, Housing and Auxiliaries staff.
- Responsible for systems testing for the cashiering module; performs table setup and maintenance; ensures steady communication between the 'project' and staff providing for timely involvement of staff in implementation decisions for the cashiering module.
- Understand, is committed and supports affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer focused quality services and performs other related duties as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Is committed and acts on the University’s affirmative action, equal opportunity and non-discriminating policies; works towards effective management and diversity in the work place and a multi-cultural work force.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in a related financial, math, or analytical computer field plus more than one year computing or financial system experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in an integrated database environment in a customer-oriented position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of end-user reporting and analysis tools. Extensive experience working with software such as Excel, ACCESS and Microsoft Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral expressions.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Work experience in higher education desirable
PSU Level: 26
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach a cover letter and resume along with contact information for 3 professional references. Please submit application by October 21, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.