About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department Administrator will partner with the Chair in the overall leadership and management of the department.
- Lead short and long-term enrollment and course schedule planning by partnering with the Chair and Program Directors to ensure coordinated, effective and efficient curriculum offerings that are student-centered and in line with the strategic goals of the Department, College and University. Oversee course schedule administration providing direction or problem solving support to administrative staff.
- Manage all department budgets including: instructional, operating, gift, revenue and research trust funds. Provide the Chair with regular financial reports detailing expenses along with current and projected balances. Provide counsel and make recommendations to the chair on budgetary planning. Approve routine expenditures for department supplies, equipment, services and furnishings. Provide supervision to department staff ensuring timely processing of all financial related work. Collaborate with the College of Education Office of Research and Engagement on issues related to grant administration.
- Direct department personnel administration; collaborate with the Chair to appropriately allocate resources to meet curricular demands by managing teaching assignments and contracts for part-time faculty, lecturers and teaching assistants. Regularly meet with the Chair to discuss upcoming personnel deadlines and plan for future personnel events.
- Work closely with the Chair, College Director of Human Resources and department staff to ensure correct and timely preparation, processing and management of departmental personnel actions and records. Manage workflow for graduate assistantships, faculty searches, faculty tenure and mini-tenure cases, PMYR cases, annual faculty reports, sabbatical leave requests, unpaid leaves and course buyouts.
- Provide leadership and problem solving initiative in the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of the department. Develop and implement various administrative procedures to ensure efficiency and that goals of the department are met. Manage department space allocations. Collaborate with the Chair on a variety of projects including data gathering and analysis, and department strategic planning.
- Work collaboratively with the Chair, department faculty and College Development/External Relations/Communications staff, develop and/or manage conferences, public lectures and other department activities/events that promote and raise department profile among internal and external audiences.
- Develop and write promotional stories or informational content for communication outlets in the department, including website, newsletters, reports, social media pages/sites, etc. ensuring that the content is current, accurate and promotes the strategic communication goals of the department.
- Work with College development staff to identify prospects and develop relationships.
- Support alumni outreach efforts, including development and implementation of off- and on-campus alumni events, alumni newsletters, and donor stewardship.
- Manage scholarship administration: review endowment agreements, make recommendations on appropriate recipient selection criteria and determine yearly funding allocation, organize scholarship committee(s) and ensure that awardees receive scholarship funding in timely manner
- Supervise staff, including recruitment, selection, training, evaluation, and work assignments. Proactively address issues related to supporting a positive and productive work environment for staff, such as workload, professional development and relationships with faculty and students.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Service in a backup role to department administrative staff as needed and perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Social Sciences, Education Administration or Related field.
- 5 years Managerial Work Experience.
- Excellent managerial, leadership, negotiation, and project management skills and ability to manage crisis or changing situations effectively.
- Excellent initiative and problem solving skills.
- Ability to make sound and mature decisions and to carry out assignments in and organized and timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Experience with financial administration including development and managing budgets.
- Ability to motivate and lead a team to facilitate collaborative projects, and to work cooperatively with staff, faculty, department chairs, and administrators.
- Excellent ability to develop and maintain harmonious and productive relationships with faculty, staff, students, alumni and other external constituents.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Superlative communication, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications and social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook etc.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Business, Social Sciences, Education Administration or Related field.
- 3 years managerial experience.
- Experience with enrollment management and course schedule planning. Experience with personnel administration and knowledge of UMass systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment
- Monday-Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Required to work occasional nights and weekends.
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a resume, cover letter, and contact information of three professional references. Please apply by the priority deadline of December 13, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position will remain opened until a qualified candidate is identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.