Information Transport Electrician I
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of the CES Project Manager for Information Technology, the Information Transport Electrician I is responsible for installing wiring systems for University supported facilities (cabling, pathing, and maintaining); requisitions materials and supplies; provides cost estimates for requested projects associated with the campus telecommunications systems.
- Install conduit and metal raceway for cable, grounding leads, cabinets, terminals, and other equipment associated with installing, repairing, and maintaining the University communications network.
- Measures cuts, assembles and installs copper and fiber cabling; stripping, splicing as necessary.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Executes the plans of Project Managers, Cable Engineers and Team Supervisors, providing field expertise to identify scope, time, and cost adjustments as needed.
- Respond to reported service interruptions in a timely and professional manner. Diagnose and troubleshoot problems and work independently or with team to develop and implement resolutions.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and standard practices of the electrical trade.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts license as a Journeyman or Master Electrician.
- Trained in the installation of Category 6 Cabling Systems.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions specific to the trade.
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Electric Code, and other pertinent safety codes.
- Ability to work from drawings and other diagrams to document work.
- Ability to install, maintain, and repair wiring systems and equipment, all types of wire and cable, all sizes of conduit, cable tray, and raceway, wiring devices and fasteners.
- Ability to troubleshoot causes of electrical failures or breakdown of equipment and work effectively to resolve problems in an environment where the rapid restoration to normal operations is critical.
- Familiar with telecommunications systems and standards; voice and data.
- Familiar with the use of fusion splicer, OTDR, category certification tester, and inspection scope for fiber installation, splicing, and testing.
- Ability to pass Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) background check.
Familiarity with University of Massachusetts Amherst procedures and practices preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Must be able to do occasional lifting of up to 60 lbs.
Monday – Friday 7:00 AM-3:00 PM with occasional nights and weekends. (40 hours per week)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by November 6th, 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.