About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provide administrative support to the undergraduate academic programs staff for the College of Information and Computer Sciences (CICS). Support processes for applicants, majors, and minors, as well as registration and scheduling.
- Assist with overrides and data entry on a daily basis.
- Assist with SPIRE wait list monitoring and registration.
- Download files and run imports into FileMaker.
- Maintain calendars relating to scheduling by keeping accurate data.
- Support the academic program staff with the exam scheduling process by maintaining calendars.
- Act as liaison for requesting University classroom space using 25 Live.
- Assist with data clean-up of the MasterCourse and AY teaching assignments.
- Assist with preparation of course proposals.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, College, or University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy. Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration. Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity. Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to work both independently and to be part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, students, and off-campus constituents.
- Independent initiative. Must have the ability to stay on task and work productively with a minimal amount of supervision or guidance.
- Willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful operation and administration of the unit. The ability to adapt and work effectively as the College or programs grow and the situation changes. Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and strict attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to read, understand, apply and explain rules, regulations, and policies/procedures related to duties.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and create effective and efficient work processes.
- Ability to ask questions and seek advice regularly.
- The ability to think through problems, organize and seek out information, identify key factors and underlying causes, and generate solutions or resolve discrepancies.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong computer skills including at least intermediate expertise with:
- Calendar systems such as iCal, Outlook, or Google
- Word processing software such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs
- Spreadsheets such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with databases such as FileMaker or Microsoft Access. Ability to collect data from multiple sources and create new reports that add value to program goals.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment
Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Hiring Range: $16.00-$22.00 per hour
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This is a temporary position without benefits.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.