EDP Programmer II
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The EDP Programmer II configures, maintains, and supports the computer systems operated by Enterprise Services clients. These computer systems, and the services they deliver, provide mission critical services to the campus enterprise. These services include file and print sharing, group collaboration, messaging and calendaring, and managed server and workstation security. Additionally, the person recommends new technologies, and participates in implementation and special projects as required. This individual will assist EDS Manager with delegation of daily responsibilities.
- Management of current versions of Windows and MAC workstations and servers.
- Tier 2 (intermediate) systems implementation, troubleshooting and analysis.
- Assists IT/EDS Manager, with technical duties and high-level projects.
- Manages computers, users, groups, and group policy.
- Performs maintenance and support related to Active Directory services.
- Installs and configures computers, mobile devices, and IT related peripherals
- Performs routine maintenance and repairs on desktop computers, mobile devices and peripherals. Recommends and implements solutions to ensure minimum delay and effective operation for system users.
- Researches, tests and assesses new technologies for potential use and implementation.
- Assists and provides guidance to tier IT employees in resolving support requests as needed.
- Stay current with established and emerging network standards and protocols, PC operating systems, software applications, hardware platforms and peripherals, security, programming languages and Industry certification.
- Participates in security audits.
- Accurately document and record work completed.
- Triage work as necessary for self and other IT staff.
- Manages cloud-based applications and services.
- Determines the amount of computer time, core size and number of devices required to process production requests.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Will be responsible for scheduling and reporting of up to 3 student employees
- Provides instructions to new and existing employees on features, capabilities, and policies of systems used.
- Communicate technical concepts and issues to end users.
- Makes changes to operating systems programs to improve overall performance.
- Will become experienced with various network based storage devices
- High school degree.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience must include: hardware and software troubleshooting and repair; installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of workstation operating systems and applications; installation, configuration and troubleshooting of network client software
- Knowledge of hardware and software repair, installation, and configuration of work stations and servers.
- Some experience, schooling and/or certificates conducive to an entry level Computer Technician position.
- Ability to prioritize heavy workload.
- Aptitude for learning new software through manuals, the Internet and trial-and-error.
- Must be available to participate in an on-call rotation.
- Occasionally available nights and weekends to carry out projects that require minimal downtime of production systems.
- Experience working with multiple computer systems in a networked client/server environment. Must have working knowledge of TCP/IP networking, the management of shared resources in a networked environment, and security management.
- Experience in meeting the demands of complex production oriented environments where timeliness and availability of information is considered critical. Must be able to work effectively to resolve problems under stressful conditions where the rapid restoration of normal operations is critical.
- Hands on experience must include installation and maintenance of enterprise class server operating systems and applications; installation, configuration and maintenance of network client software and operating systems; software and hardware problem resolution.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral, especially as consultation and accurate communication with non-technical individuals on technical matters is a requirement for this individual. Ability to converse well in person and by telephone.
- Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed instructions and make independent judgments, and strong technical analytic abilities.
- Ability to pass Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) background check
- Experience with Storage Area Networks including management of redundant devices and high availability preferred.
- Experience with enterprise level virtualization technologies and high availability preferred.
- Technical proficiency with the implementation, maintenance and troubleshooting of networking preferred.
- Experience with current versions of Windows, as well as Macintosh workstations preferred.
- Experience with TCP/IP, networking and related equipment implementation, maintenance and troubleshooting preferred.
- Excellent documentation skills preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills preferred.
- A+ and/or Network + technical certifications or similar certifications preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to lift 50 Lbs independently and heavier loads with assistance.
- Ability to lift, bend, reach and crawl into small enclosed spaces in order to install, service and maintain technology and technology-related equipment.
Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week, some nights and weekends
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references in order to ensure consideration; applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.