About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Advancement Services, the Director of Financial Planning leads the daily financial management of the division of Advancement along with the UMass Amherst Foundation. This position monitors and analyzes spending, resolves fiscal problems, prepares statistical and analytical reports, and develops budgetary strategies and projections. The Director acts as an advisor on all matters related to strategic and long-range financial planning for Advancement and the UMass Amherst Foundation.
- Serves as the executive financial officer for Advancement and the primary financial advisor to the Vice Chancellor and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Advancement Services (AVC). Provides recommendations to efficiently and effectively manage the Advancement budget and central administration.
- Serves as a strategic business partner to the AVC and senior leadership team. Interprets University policies and provides direction to Major Budgetary Units within the division. Plays a key role in shaping operational policies, processes and strategies.
- Manages all fiscal, and business functions of the University of Massachusetts Amherst Foundation, Inc. (UMAF), a private, independent 501(c)(3) organization. This includes all of the functions of an independent foundation including Payroll, Administration & Finance. Coordinates monthly strategy sessions with AVC which encompass reviewing the finances and administration of both State/GOF and UMAF Advancement operations which are fiscally independent operations but inextricably linked organizationally.
- Manages and plans the day-to-day operation of the accounting function for Advancement including budgets, purchase orders, requisitions, payments, contracts, software management, accounts receivable, and billing.
- Designs, implements, manages and establishes procedures for preparation and submission of annual budgets, prepares budget proposals, including revenue based fee requests (as applicable) and other financial procedures as necessary including budget tracking systems for general operating and revenue-based budgets, multi-year commitments and budget allocation history. Conducts and implements mid-year and year-end budget reviews for general operating and revenue-based accounts.
- Works with internal staff and private Accounting firms to facilitate annual audits for both the UMass Amherst Foundation and the UMass Amherst Alumni Association, both private 501c3 Foundations affiliated with the Amherst campus.
- Prepares and presents Advancement financial overview (including UMAF and UMAAA financials) to UMAF board Finance & Audit Committee at the UMAF board meetings.
- Manages a separate and distinct campaign budget for all philanthropic capital campaigns. Provides regular updates and reports on the financial progress of the campaign as compared with the established campaign budget. Responsible for providing capital campaign progress and results to UMAF board members and campus leadership throughout the duration of the campaign.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in Business or a related field with three years of accounting and budget experience in a complex organization OR Master's degree in Business or a related field with two years of accounting and budget experience in a complex organization.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and the ability to manage complex time-sensitive projects with competing deadlines.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience with an enterprise system for data retrieval, query, analysis and report generation and preparation.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with the ability to diplomatically and sensitively collaborate across teams and navigate a complex academic community to execute initiatives effectively.
- Independent decision-making and sound judgment handling confidential material, ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment and build consensus among individuals with competing priorities. Excellent follow through and attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with PeopleSoft applications.
- Ability to operate with strong personal integrity and work ethic, and maintain a sense of humor and perspective.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by November 30, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.