Asst Foods Manager U of M (Assistant Foods Manager)
Job no: 503914
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Berkshire Dining Commons
Union: PSU Unit B
Categories: Skilled Labor, Technical, Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervise and participate in the management of one or more food service areas; plan and oversee food preparation and service; estimate and order food and supplies; maintain inventory of supplies and materials in accordance with quality control standards; maintains records and make reports; supervise employees and students employed in assigned areas. Performs related work as required.
- Participates in the determination of material and labor needs for assigned area, and the planning of menus.
- Supervises and may participate in the production and service of foods and beverages, ensuring that quality and quantity conform to established standards.
- Supervises the cleaning and maintenance of assigned areas and equipment. Ensures that cleanliness and sanitation requirements are met.
- Orders food, beverages, supplies and equipment; ensures that items are correct and in good condition when received; arranges for their appropriate storage and conducts periodic inventories.
- Maintains accurate records of food and beverages served; hours worker by employees; and sales and customer counts.
- Supervises the receipt of cash and the operation of cash registers in accordance with University and department cash handling procedures and policies.
- Formulates procedures and methods to minimize operating costs, in conjunction with unit management, and communicates same to subordinates. Responds to customer complaints as necessary.
- Trains and supervises employees directly and indirectly including hiring, and assigning work.
- Acts as the unit manager during any absence and responsible for occasional weekend coverage of a unit.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least 5 years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in food service work in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, catering firm, government or private institution or a diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school at the high school level or higher with a major in home economics, culinary arts, food services or food trades may be substituted for the required experience.
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in preparation and serving of food and beverage in a high volume setting, preferably a college or university setting.
- Knowledge of the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods.
- Knowledge of the standard sanitation methods and techniques used in food handling and storage, and preventative maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of general cash handling procedures and ability to enforce their application.
- Ability to judge the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods by sensory observation.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to give oral and written instruction in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records,
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with a diverse population.
- Ability to supervise
- Ability to work varied shifts and/or irregular hours (i.e., weekends, holidays, nights)
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, policies and procedures of the University and assigned unit.
- Ability to comprehend and operate a computerized menu system.
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e. ServSafe).
Monday- Friday 7:00 am - 3:00 pm; may include occasional weekends and holidays (40 hours per week)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend