Cook II - Food Trucks Supervisor
Job no: 500066
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Blue Wall Cafe
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Cooks dishes on Mobile Food Trucks; performs a variety of tasks in the preparation and cooking of food; performs all duties required for the daily operation of a mobile food truck including driving, training, inspecting food for quality and cash management; performs other related work as required.
- Measures and mixes ingredients during preparation according to recipe, using kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare dishes according to standard recipe and using established procedures.
- Orders foods and accessories necessary in preparation of Mobile Food Truck menus using standards forms and procedures.
- Trains and supervises food truck personnel in the preparation and cooking of meals following standard recipes and established procedures.
- Reads and uses computer generated standard menus and recipes to prepare meals.
- Communicates with Assistant Unit Manager or Manager on any menu problem and makes substitutions in the menu when necessary due to a shortage of supplies or a change in the number of customers.
- Performs required record keeping using standard forms and procedures.
- Instructs kitchen personnel in the proper use of all food truck equipment to insure safe and efficient operation.
- Stores unused food at appropriate levels, in designated areas to prevent spoilage.
- Instructs kitchen personnel in the proper portion control in preparation and service of food.
- Drives Mobile Food truck to various locations on and off campus; opens on time according to communicated schedule.
- Maintains the vehicle in good condition through periodic cleaning, checking oil levels and tire pressure. Schedules Fuel and Propane filling. Schedules vehicle service at Physical Plant; reports any damage to the Assistant Unit Manager or Manager.
- Opens and secures the mobile food truck.
- Coordinates movement of necessary items from storage to the mobile food truck.
- Instructs subordinate employees in the proper sanitary habits in safety, handling, preparation, serving and storage of food.
- Provides customer service by displaying and explaining product, making some sales transactions and providing general information
- Handles cash according to standard department policies. Must maintain supervisor cash handling access.
- Schedules student staff and covers call-outs during their shift
- Performs other related work as required
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in food handling, storage, preparation, cooking and serving of food in large quantities.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in food handling, storage, preparation and cooking.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of utensils and equipment used in large quantity food preparation and cooking such as ovens, knives, stoves, steamers, fryolators, etc. including how to light pilot lights and operate gas valves etc.
- Knowledge of the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods.
- Ability to read and interpret recipes and weights and measures tables.
- Ability to follow and give oral and written instructions.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of supervision.
- Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures, varied weather conditions and sharp surfaces.
- Willingness to communicate with customers.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods, climb stairs, and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to legally operate motor vehicles in the state of Massachusetts.
- Ability to use a smart phone.
- Ability to use social media to post food truck related information.
- At least three years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in the preparation and cooking of food in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, catering firm, government or private institution. (A diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school at high school level or higher with a major in culinary arts, food services or food trades may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.)
- Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e. ServSafe).
- Valid Massachusetts drivers license.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- May require balancing, carrying, pulling/pushing, repetitive movement, standing, bending, climbing, reaching, sitting, twisting, and lifting.
- Will require driving.
Tuesday-Wednesday 6 pm-2 am; Thursday 7 pm-3 am; Friday-Saturday 9 pm-5 am
Grade 12 step 1
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend