About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Music and Dance at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a faculty position in STUDIO Bassoon. This is a full-time nine-month tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level to begin September 1, 2020.
- Teach applied Bassoon lessons to undergraduate and graduate music majors and minors. Additional teaching responsibilities may include overseeing beginning bassoon techniques class for music education majors and chamber music coaching. Assignment will depend on the candidate’s areas of expertise and the needs of the department.
- Maintain national and regional visibility as a performer/pedagogue as part of professional development.
- Participate in on-campus faculty performances.
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students, participate in auditions, serve on committees, and perform other university and professional service as appropriate.
- Candidate must be willing and available to address responsibilities during the regular work week and on weekends, as needed.
- Recruiting activities may include visiting secondary schools, offering workshops, participating in summer programs, and adjudicating.
- Doctorate or Master’s degree in Bassoon performance preferred.
- Equivalent professional experience considered.
- Potential for or an already established national reputation as a bassoonist.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching as well as a high potential for recruiting at the university level.
- Ability to work effectively within the department.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, and the University offers an attractive benefits package.
To apply, please submit 1) cover letter, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) links, preferably through YouTube and in a separate document, to high quality audio and/or video recordings of performances (please include dates of performances), 4) Statement of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion which describes your past, current, and anticipated contributions in these areas through research, teaching and service, and 5) list of three current referees with full contact information including valid email addresses.
Review of applications will begin October 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Additional supporting materials may be requested from finalists. Application materials will not be returned.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.