About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Music and Dance at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a faculty position in Music Theory. This is a full-time nine-month tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level to begin September 1, 2020.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in theory and analysis. Additional teaching responsibilities depend on the candidate’s areas of expertise and the needs of the department.
- Serve on masters and doctoral committees.
- Assist with recruiting and advising.
- Maintain an active program of research and scholarly activities.
- Serve on department committees and perform other appropriate university and professional service.
- ABD required for consideration. A doctorate in music theory required at the time of appointment.
- Demonstrated excellence in college/university teaching and excellent scholarly promise.
- Ability to work effectively within the department.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, and the University offers an attractive benefits package.
To apply, please submit 1) cover letter, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) representative samples of scholarship, 4) evidence of excellence in teaching, 5) Statement of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion which describes your past, current, and anticipated contributions in these areas through research, teaching and service, and 6) list of a minimum of three current referees with full contact information including valid email addresses.
Review of applications will begin October 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Additional supporting materials may be requested from finalists. Application materials will not be returned.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.