Administrative Infrastructure Database Manager
Job no: 504304
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Enterprise Systems & Develop
Categories: Information Technology, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of Director of Enterprise Systems and Development, the Administrative Infrastructure Database Manager supervises a unit of database and system administrators who are responsible for the security and reliability of the database and associated middleware and application updates of a large enterprise system. The incumbent ensures the smooth and secure operation, maximum availability, and optimal performance of these vital systems.
- Supervise and direct the work of the system programming/database administer staff.
- Improve the effectiveness and performance of the database tools and services.
- Ensure data integrity and continuous operation.
- Maintain database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls.
- Prepares for upgrades and installations by studying plans and requirements; advising senior technical management; coordinating design and programming; and project management and execution.
- Ensure the security of the database by developing policies, procedures and controls.
- Perform related duties assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objective.
- Communicate about system events in an effective and timely manner with affected end-users and IT staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field with 6 years of experience managing databases and application software for enterprise systems OR
- Associate degree in Computer Science or related field with 8 years of experience managing database and application software for enterprise systems.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of management experience managing a technical team.
- Working knowledge of industry standard client-server ERP technology, including enterprise-scale relational databases, web servers, application servers, network, firewalls and VPNs.
- Working knowledge of industry standard best practices for security monitoring and controls.
- Proven ability to effectively manage and coordinate the work of staff, consultants, and/or contractors and follow established project management practices.
- Ability to work independently and allocate resources consistent with department and campus goals.
- Maintain proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, and other software used in professional management organizations.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Home internet connection.
Experience working in the higher education environment.
- Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Required to work some nights and weekends
PSU level 31
PSU salary schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by February 2, 2020 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend