Postdoctoral Research Associate - Visualization, Urban Design, and Civic Data Analysis
Job no: 504491
Work type: Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Computer Science
Union: Post Doc
Categories: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The College of Information and Computer Sciences (CICS) is searching for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to conduct innovative and exciting research in the areas of visualization, urban design, and civic data analysis with Professor Narges Mahyar. Professor Mahyar conducts research at the intersection of visualization, social computing, and crowdsourcing with the goal of advancing civic technology that addresses social inequality by including marginalized perspectives and leveraging the diversity of viewpoints and experiences to drive collective innovation. The project aims at developing novel methods and systems to support democratic public participation in civic decisions and analysis of large-scale civic data.
- Contribute to research in a highly technical Computer Science lab. This can involve: developing new ideas, designing and developing social computing platforms and visualization tools and techniques; evaluating and validating systems and techniques and running user studies.
- Supervise research assistants.
- Carry out experiments in association with students, staff and faculty.
- Describe techniques and results for use in scientific papers and conferences; assist in writing reports and articles.
- Contribute to the development of new research proposals.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Strong background in interactive data visualization and analysis.
- Experienced with designing and implementing empirical user studies.
- Experienced with both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a diverse interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and mentor graduate students.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Experience in developing and applying machine learning models is preferred.
- Research experience in urban informatics and/or civic technologies is preferred.
- All recipients receive a salary of US $60,000/year for full-time employment as well as full benefits. Additional funds are available for equipment and professional travel. The position will be for two years with possible extension for a third year.
To apply please submit a 1) CV, 2) cover letter stating background, experience, interest in the position, and career objectives, 3) the names and contact information for three references, and 4) a relevant sample of published work.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. May 18, 2020 is the preferred start date, but we can be flexible depending on the candidate’s preferences.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend