Senior IT Business Analyst
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Senior Information Technology (IT) Business Analyst, reporting to the Director of Enterprise Systems and Development, is responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating processes, systems, and user requirements for projects involving campus Information Technology. The Sr. IT Business Analyst develops business cases, conducts analysis, and recommends effective solutions that meet the functional, technical, and business needs and requirements for the campus. The Sr. Business Analyst, working with the project and technical teams, is responsible for keeping projects within budget, scope and schedule, and directing the work of junior team members, including change management and process improvement. This position is contingent upon funding availability.
- Performs requirements gathering and analysis to include: documenting current system and business processes, rules and logic; gathering data to solve complex issues; develops implementation plans, and recommends solutions.
- Partners with campus departments and users to gather all functional, technical, and business requirements to formulate specifications. Documents work flows and results of business analysis and obtains sign-off from users on specifications.
- Works with clients throughout the development life cycle to ensure that business requirements are met, including for usability, reporting, data quality, data analysis and data-driven decision making.
- Works with technical lead and developers to design a maintainable and scalable technical solution.
- Primary user contact for fielding problems and questions; performs key analytical troubleshooting as needed before escalating to the technical team.
- Responsible for change management, including user training and adoption.
- Communicates the business directives, goals, and needs to technical teams and serves as business interface from the campus management team; manages expectations and defines project completion and user satisfaction metrics.
- Designs and executes test plans to ensure that requirements and specifications are implemented properly and meet strategic and operational objectives.
- Organizes and manages user acceptance testing.
- Conducts business process redesign to achieve efficiencies and cost savings.
- Understands long-term campus and departmental strategic objectives and recommends processes and technologies to meet those objectives; introducing innovation to business processes through technology if appropriate.
- Assists technical teams in translating application functionality into application, systems, and technology solutions consistent with campus IT architecture and standards.
- Mentors, trains, and develops junior business analyst staff and assists with campus-wide activities, including planning and promoting integration within the Information Technology (IT) organization.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Bachelor's degree with 7 years of business analysis or related experience.
- Progressive responsibility supporting IT operations or IT business analysis.
- Expertise in analytical techniques, interview techniques, data gathering techniques, business process redesign and business process modelling and documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and execute business analysis and project deliverables with a high level of service across a diverse team including mission-aligned hiring, training, supervising, mentoring, and performance management;
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills; and ability to influence decision-makers and stakeholders.
- Highly motivated and organized with a strong sense of initiative for identifying information, resources, and solving problems, and be dedicated to developing relationships with team members, colleagues, and clients.
- Ability to develop and utilize measurable techniques to improve business processes.
- Demonstrated ability to meet critical deadlines and work independently.
- Proficiency with business software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in a IT related field.
- Experience and expertise in data visualization software, such as Tableau.
- Experience and expertise in SalesForce.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00
- Required to work some nights
- Required to work some weekends
PSU Level 29
This position is contingent upon funding availability.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration; applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.