Cable Engineering Contractor Liaison
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Cable Engineering Contractor Liaison is the department’s primary point of contact between outside contractors, UMass Campus departments, and Network Communications. The Contractor Liaison facilitates communication between campus departments and external service providers to establish job scope, clarity of expectations, obtain funding, resolve complaints, and oversees quality control in order to ensure compliance with contract documents and applicable standards.
- Plan and supervise small to medium-sized projects maintaining oversight of scope of work, timetables, quality of work, identifying and remediating potential problems, and keeping the stakeholders informed of project status.
- Work with staff of Design & Construction Management to ensure that work on campus construction projects maintains compliance with UMass IT applicable standards.
- Coordinate the work of campus sub-contractors including: developing scope of work, scheduling, navigating logistical requirements of the campus, and periodic inspections to ensure adherence to contract specifications and UMass IT quality standards.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with IT support personnel, sub-contractors, and University department representatives.
- Present project status regularly to IT Project Management stakeholders at weekly meetings and represents IT at campus meeting regarding on-going projects.
- Place contractors on notice if the execution of tasks is in conflict with the contract documents, UMass IT specifications, and/or life safety codes of state, county, or campus regulatory bodies. Works through proper communication channels to correct deficiencies.
- Exercises independent judgement/authority in scheduling service providers.
- Organize and lead walk-throughs with customers to identify specific work requirements and convert information into a scope of work to be put out to bid to appropriate contractors.
- Collaborate with IT Finance and Network Communications Customer Service staff to develop purchase orders, review and re-charge customer accounts, and resolve any procurement-related issues.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High School diploma
- 5 years experience in commercial or higher educational/institutional construction.
- High level of knowledge of standard practices, methods, processes and tools used in low voltage cable installation and construction.
- Solid working knowledge of building codes, electrical codes, communication standards and installation.
- Ability to read and understand construction plans and specifications and to develop a clear scope of work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to communicate clearly verbally and in writing and to establish and foster strong working relationships with customers and vendors.
- Highly organized with outstanding attention to detail.
- Proven ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to pass Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) background check.
- Trained in the installation and maintenance of Category 6 Cabling Systems.
- Associate's Degree preferred.
- Experience in communications cabling preferred.
- Computer proficiency with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
- Knowledge of the University of Massachusetts Amherst procedures and practices preferred.
- Experience working in higher education environment preferred.
- A strong working knowledge of TIA and BICSI Cabling Standards preferred.
- Training in the installation and maintenance of fiber installation preferred.
- One of the following is preferred: Commonwealth of Massachusetts license as a Construction Supervisor, Journeyman or Master Electrician, PMP or CAPM Certification.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Must be able to do occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Will need to spend occasional time on ladders, as well as bending and crawling in small spaces.
Direct supervision of 1-2 Student Employees
- Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 3:00 pm. Regular days off: Saturday/Sunday. (37.5 hours per week)
- Required to work some nights required to work some weekends.
- Team on-call participation required.
Grade 15 (3rd Page)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by February 28th 2020 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.