Cloud Automation Engineer
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Cloud Automation Engineer will implement, monitor, and continually improve procedures and resource allocations to ensure professional, high quality technology support and services to the UMass Amherst Campus including its executives, faculty, staff, and administrators. Provide mentoring, coaching and training to IT system administrators as it relates to cloud best practices. Provide support and maintenance of cloud computing systems, both on-premises and with 3rd parties, including assessing systems services to identify potential weakness and problems and refining deployment, backup, and integration scripts.
- Work on multiple projects as a project leader to research, propose and implement strategies in the migration and consolidation of complex distributed systems to prepare them for a move to the cloud. This may entail converting or migrating physical servers to virtual machines on-premises or with 3rd party vendors (Azure, AWS) as well as moving virtualized instances located on-premises into services provided by cloud vendors.
- Analyze, monitor and keep systems current with changing technologies for the campus community.
- Code migration scripts in Python or Bash and integrate with build and orchestration environments (Jenkins) to allow developers to move their work through an integrated, industry-standard pipeline.
- Automate the installation and provisioning of new software packages including (but not limited to) Drupal, Wordpress, and Ruby on Rails for campus community. Automate patching of instances under IT purview using Python or Bash, including robust backup systems during migration.
- Monitor system and code performance and tune/adjust system resources to maintain efficient and equitable use of managed resources by the campus community. Implement changes in multiple environments from test or development to staging to production which may include automating various tasks in multiple environments.
- Respond to alerts and customer reported issues. Escalate or resolve problems as needed exercising independent judgement and within established support practices.
- Develop tools for automation of tasks and integration of other central IT services.
- Participate in the planning of both short and long-term cloud goals and directions for UMass IT.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Provide consulting to IT and other campus staff on matters related to system provisioning and centralized maintenance and monitoring.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 years professional experience in technical infrastructure support to include 3 years providing Cloud orchestration and coding in a large complex environment or Associate’s degree with 7 years professional experience providing Cloud orchestration and coding in a large complex environment.
- Knowledge and experience with system scripting using technologies such as Python and bash.
- Knowledge and experience working with virtualization environments and tools such as VMWare.
- Knowledge and experience with industry standard cloud best-practices as they relate to deployment, provisioning, and pipelining.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills to plan, recommend, implement and monitor effective and efficient processes and to identify problems and implement solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in UNIX/Linux
- Experience working in a large complex educational environment a plus.
- Experience and certification with AWS or Azure.
- Experience with centralized automated configuration management and provisioning solutions for Linux systems such as RedHat Satellite, Puppet or Ansible.
- Experience working in a team-based environment and a proven history of implementing cross-departmental initiatives.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical Office Environment Activity
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Good communication and people skills, participation in on-call rotation, strong analytical skills, organized, responsive, and thorough.
- Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm.
- Regular days off: Saturday/Sunday.
- Required to work some nights and some weekends.
PSU Level 28
PSU salary schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.