About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of a faculty member, the Research Software Engineer will conduct and supervise research and software development projects in an active Biostatistics research lab.
- Maintaining and enforcing data quality standards in a collaborative GitHub repository.
- Maintaining and developing new features for our current D3 forecast visualization (https://viz.covid19forecasthub.org/).
- Using a continuous integration server to automate parts of all of our data pipeline.
- Database maintenance.
- Designing and developing front-end web pages for lab projects.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to prioritize workload and the flexibility to manage multiple tasks.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience using Node.js, R, and SQL.
- Experience configuring and maintaining continuous integration servers (e.g. TravisCI or GitHub Actions).
- Experience supervising employees.
- M-F 40 hours per week
- Typical office environment
- Continued employment is based on grant funding and performance
Review of application will begin on August 13, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted by this date to ensure full consideration. Anticipated start date is August 24 2020. Application materials required include a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.