About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work under the direction of Professor Frank Sup at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. The position is in support of robot teleoperation research being conducted in the Mechatronics and Robotics Research Lab.
- Design, evaluate, and implement algorithms leveraging machine learning for prediction of human movement.
- Work closely with collaborators within and outside of UMass Amherst.
- Supervise research activities within the lab including meeting with graduate and undergraduate students to assist them in designing their experiments, analyzing their data, and presenting their results.
- Maintain project documentation and prepare knowledge transfer materials.
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals.
- When and if opportunities come up to respond to funding opportunities, requests for proposals, or other possibilities for funding related to the research focus, participate in writing and submitting research proposals responding to those requests.
A Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, biomedical engineering, kinesiology, or computer science with experience in machine learning.
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Human biomechanics
- Analysis of biosignals such as surface electromyography
Monday-Friday, 9AM – 5PM
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials for priority consideration by December 31, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
- A cover letter that includes a statement of research experience and interests,
- A curriculum vitae,
- PDF copies of three recent publications or writing samples,
- Contact information of three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.