About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Communication Strategy, the Social Media Manager executes communications across multiple digital platforms to effectively deliver integrated and inclusive messages to diverse audiences, promote brand recognition, and reinforce the university’s core values and institutional priorities in support of a major capital fundraising campaign and the Be Revolutionary strategic plan. Always monitoring social channels, the Manager is a frontline communicator responsible for delivering information, instilling pride, and driving support for university strategic priorities. Works independently and as a team, exercising sound judgement under deadline conditions. Coordinates with peers throughout campus to extend the reach of stories, and engages constituents across the globe. Develops regular reports on performance analytics. Stays abreast of timely content and institutional needs, develops creative and engaging, on brand digital campaigns to communicate news, events, and gift announcements in alignment with university brand initiatives.
- Creates, manages, and evaluates ongoing social media campaigns for university-wide initiatives.
- Manages daily posting and moderation of alumni social media channels in accordance with the social media content strategy and messaging guiding principles.
- Provides weekly management and maintenance of the Minute Mobilizers social media ambassador program.
- Executes regular reporting of social media metrics for all channels.
- Responds to constituent inquiries and comments received via social media.
- Provides social media coverage and live streaming for select events that may occur outside of office hours.
- Supports promotions and updates to the Advancement websites.
- Provides ongoing support for online event management, promotional writing, and marketing for campus units.
- Assists with email marketing creation and support.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two to three (2-3) years relevant professional experience managing social media communications and digital marketing, including content development and brand messaging.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to storytelling, communications, public relations, marketing, user-generated content management, and reputation management.
- Experience with content management systems and demonstrated proficiency with various social media platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Familiarity using web analytics and social media monitoring/measurement tools to deliver data-driven insights.
- Ability to work independently to produce creative, on brand digital media content; examples required.
- Proven ability to think critically under pressure and write clear, concise, and compelling content to resonate with intended audiences across various communication channels; ability to accurately translate technical or scholarly information into common language.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with a variety of constituents.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to work independently and plan, prioritize, and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and/or work evening and weekend hours as needed; valid driver’s license required.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Advertising, Digital Media Production or related field degree preferred.
- Ability to design creative and compelling, on brand digital content using Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Experience developing marketing copy for fundraising or other revenue-generating initiatives.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.