About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Manager of Communication, Recruitment, and Outreach for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Masters of Data Analytics and Computational Social Science (DACSS) program will work under the general direction of the DACSS Program Manager and Program Director to develop and execute a comprehensive strategic communication, recruitment and outreach plan that supports the program’s mission and strategic goals.
The Manager of Communication, Recruitment, and Outreach will provide support for managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders, support event planning, and student outreach.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive strategic communication plan that utilizes traditional and electronic publishing technologies and social media outlets. Routinely evaluate the effectiveness of communication strategies and adjust as necessary to support the program’s goals. Develop and manage associated implementation timelines.
- Manage development of a new DACSS website, in collaboration with SBS Communications and University Relations. Update the content of the DACSS website on a regular basis; coordinate with SBS Communications and University Relations on content creation and distribution.
- Promote the DACSS using social media outlets. Share Program news and events with College and University communications staff and collaborate on generation and distribution as needed.
- Solicit, develop, and edit feature stories, news items, and other website content, including photos and videos. Communicate with internal and external constituencies as appropriate to arrange for and conduct interviews.
- Write, design, edit, produce and distribute electronic newsletters and other informational communications for current and prospective students and alumni, including an external-facing Annual Report.
- Create and maintain a public-facing calendar of program-sponsored events and other public events that benefit program faculty, staff and students.
- Oversee the creation of print promotional materials for student recruitment, program development, alumni development, external stakeholder communications, and other purposes that advance the program's strategic goals.
- Collaborate with other program staff and the Program Director to develop and implement program events and activities that align with the strategic goals of the program for recruitment and retention of students and alumni development. Assist with on and off campus, and virtual events for students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors and other external constituents.
- Assist in planning for and producing materials (print or electronic) for meetings of the DACSS Advisory Board and Governance Boards.
- Monitor and advise the work of student employees who are also working as content generators across multiple media.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet DACSS program, SBS, and University goals and objectives.
- Manage special projects or other duties as directed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Demonstrated work or educational experience in communications, marketing, and website management, with the ability to provide examples of published works across various media, including articles, websites, videos, etc.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and a good sense of design.
- Knowledge of and experience in digital content creation and current media technologies (including desktop publishing, web maintenance, social media, video/photography) and a willingness to learn new media technologies as they emerge.
- Ability to develop and execute new communications and marketing strategies.
- Expert computer usage skills including spreadsheet, word processing, database and presentation software with the ability to quickly learn new software programs needed for position duties.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, negotiation and project management skills with strong attention to detail and quality.
- Flexibility to work with initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks. Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with competent judgment and discretion.
- Excellent ability to work both independently and as part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style. Ability to prioritize and complete multiple, complex tasks with different timetables and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly develop and sustain productive relationships with a variety of internal and external constituents. Capable of working successfully with diverse populations. Ability to engage senior-level executives, high profile donors and volunteers.
- Ability to maintain database records, analyze data, and prepare reports and presentations from those records.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of program and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university-related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Degree in Journalism, Communication or Marketing preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce or other relationship management software preferred.
- Experience with Drupal, basic HTML and CSS coding, Adobe Photoshop, video production and video editing.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment
- May be required to do occasional day or overnight off campus travel.
- May be required to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Monday - Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a temporary non-benefited professional position. The position is set to end on June 30, 2021, with the possibility for renewal contingent upon funding.
Please include a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references. In the cover letters, applicants should include a paragraph or two discussing their skills, experiences, and/or commitments pertaining to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
Review of applicants will begin on March 22, 2021, and will continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences is committed to building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where cultural diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity benefits and enriches the development of all of our students, staff, and faculty in our college.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.