About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the College of Information and Computer Sciences Assistant Director of Communications and Content Strategy, the Communications Manager is responsible for the conceptualization, creation, production, editing, and marketing of content for a variety of platforms. The Communications Manager will be part of a small team of communications professionals who support the college in the achievement of its vision, mission, and strategic goals, with an emphasis on raising the college’s visibility and developing and sustaining an effective, unified message.
- Coordinate with the Assistant Director of Communications and Content Strategy to develop content strategy, edit, write, and create print and digital media for a wide variety of college publications, which include feature articles, press releases, email marketing campaigns, annual reports, newsletters, social media posts, lecture posters, event listings, event programs, and videos.
- Assume project management and communications liaison duties for projects requiring digital and print collateral, working with internal clients across the college to set and meet established deadlines while delivering high-quality content that aligns with college goals.
- Write speeches and presentations for the college’s Dean and others, such as those delivered at the college’s annual Senior Celebration, alumni meet-ups, keynote lectures, and other high-profile events.
- Assist in development of annual communications and marketing strategy. Maintain editorial and communications schedules.
- In consultation with the Assistant Director of Communications and Content Strategy, collaborate with the Senior Web and Graphic Designer to maintain and create website content on cics.umass.edu and affiliated college websites.
- Copy edit, rewrite, proofread, and fact-check to ensure that digital and print materials are of professional quality and reflect positively on the college.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or a related field and two years of experience with professional communications work, preferably in a higher education setting. One year (1) of relevant experience may be substituted for every one year (1) of required academia.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to construct compelling promotional copy and translate complex technical information for non-experts. Demonstrated experience conducting research and interviewing subjects for writing assignments.
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with a varied constituency, including key stakeholders, leadership/administration, and external vendor and service providers.
- Excellent project management and facilitation skills with high-level attention to detail. Ability to work on many projects simultaneously, and to set and meet deadlines.
- Experience with social media content creation, development of digital strategy, and in the design and management of websites.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with current media and marketing technologies; ability/eagerness to learn new systems and technologies quickly.
- Experience with preprint production; knowledge of print processes; understanding of graphic design elements.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience creating and managing content using Drupal or another content management system
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, and Premiere Pro.
- Background in computer science or technology.
- Experience with photography and video/audio production.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment
- Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Required to work occasional nights and weekends.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references. Provide two writing samples or a link to an online portfolio of your work.
To ensure consideration, applicants must apply by June 17, 2021.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.