About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
About the UMass Fine Arts Center
Since its founding in 1975, the UMass Fine Arts Center has been a central force in the cultural, social, and academic life of the University, the Five College campuses, and the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. The Fine Arts Center's combination of educational, visual, and performing arts programs not only makes us unique, but it also secures a very vital and necessary position for us to meet the diverse needs of scholars, faculty, students, alumni, and the broader community.
The Marketing Manager contributes to the definition, design, and implementation of Fine Arts Center (FAC) marketing and public relations plans. Serves as social media director and managing editor for FAC communications and marketing initiatives, works collaboratively to effectively plan and deliver integrated and inclusive messages to numerous and diverse audiences, and to promote FAC brand recognition. Manages creation of compelling written content and marketing copy for distribution across print, digital, web and social media channels.
- Make significant contributions to the definition, design and implementation of FAC marketing and public relations plans which could include branding; development of promotional collateral; research, planning and purchasing for print, broadcast and online advertising, direct promotions and public relations.
- Develop and execute a strategic and integrated digital content social media strategy to grow the UMass Fine Arts Center's (FAC) online, e-mail, social media, and new media marketing activity; in order to strengthen affinity and participation of key audiences; recruit and manage new social media volunteer networks to broaden and diversify communications through personal and professional networks; create and manage content for all major social media channels; regularly monitor and engage in existing social conversations; develop and analyze metrics to demonstrate reach and relevance of all social media campaigns.
- Serve as managing editor of FAC communications and marketing initiatives including Playbill production: consult with internal and external constituents to identify and select topical articles, profiles or other information of interest for publication; conduct associated research and interviews; review and approve written content in consideration of messaging goals and desired outcomes; develop and manage distribution schedules for numerous e-newsletters, social media campaigns, publicity plans and other publications as assigned.
- Write and/or edit content for a variety of FAC communications across multiple media channels, including newsletter articles, website text, event promotion/registration pages, promotional emails, social media posts, press releases, speaking points, video and PSA scripts, marketing copy and other informational collateral such as table tents and posters
- Coordinate with internal and external constituents to manage the review and approval process for all electronic and print communications; ensure all written content appropriately represents and communicates intended themes and messaging; proof content for grammatical and informational accuracy; coordinate activation and/or distribution of approved event registration pages, web content and emails.
- Collaborate with a wide range of internal and external constituents such as media representatives, advertisers, campus, Five College and community representatives, local business vendors and audience members with a goal to strengthen and diversify participation of key target audiences in FAC programs. Plan, coordinate and participate in promotional events and activities in support of key programs and FAC events.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 1-3 years’ experience working in market research, marketing, communications, advertising, social media promotions, and/or public relations.
- Knowledge of content marketing and all aspects of digital and social media marketing.
- Strong organizational and writing skills.
- Flexibility with time essential, ability to work nights and weekends.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field.
- Previous work experience either in the Arts or a University.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
- Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM
- Occasional evenings and/or weekends
- Expected to work evening performances related to FAC events
PSU Level 26
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, including a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references by July 9, 2021 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.