About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Recruitment and Admissions Manager supports the implementation of the recruitment, admissions and enrollment goals for academic programs in the School of Public Policy (SPP) and the Data Analytics and Computational Social Science program (DACSS). The Manager will utilize Customer Relationship Management software (CRM), hold prospective student and yield events, provide admissions counseling, and assess activity effectiveness to achieve position goals. Division of effort for SPP and DACSS will vary based on the needs of the programs.
- Identify individuals who may be interested in the academic programs and engage in lead management using CRM software.
- Serve as admissions counselor for applicants to the graduate programs.
- Manage prospective student events, workshops and programs that support recruitment and enrollment yield goals.
- Create and maintain admissions procedures for the graduate programs.
- Provide prospective students with information regarding financial aid opportunities.
- Manage the review of applications by the Admissions Committees, and communicate decisions about admission and financial support to applicants.
- Track and manage admissions offers to optimize established enrollment yield goals.
- Collaborate with the Communications and Marketing staff to build and maintain contact lists for prospective students.
- Collect data from Salesforce and other sources to prepare reports on prospective student activities, yield rates and the effectiveness of recruitment and enrollment activities.
- In collaboration with other offices in the college and university, promote interest in the SPP undergraduate major and certificate programs. Organize and participate in events to promote awareness of undergraduate programs.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies relating to recruitment and admissions, and support the work of faculty committees in this area.
- Understand responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to contribute to the School’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Create a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Implement departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Facilitate collaborative projects that enhance student recruitment and enrollment goals.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Public Administration, Social Sciences or related field.
- 3 (three) years of experience in marketing or program recruitment.
- Able to understand and identify the needs of students, and translate those needs into programmatic solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, current and prospective students, and off-campus constituents. Able to communicate clearly and concisely and to articulate ideas, concepts, and proposals.
- High level computer proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, database management and data synthesis. Ability to collect data from multiple sources and create new reports that add value to program goals.
- Ability to work independently and as part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style.
- Flexibility and adaptability to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful operation and administration of the unit.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with competent judgment and discretion.
- Extensive organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to read, understand, apply and explain rules, regulations and policies/procedures related to duties. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and create effective and efficient work processes.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality. Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master's Degree in Public Policy and Administration or related degree.
- Familiarity with Salesforce CRM software.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Occasional overnight travel, nights, and weekends required.
This position reports to the SPP Associate Director for Academic Programs. Functional direction will be provided by the Director of DACSS as required.
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. In the cover letters, applicants should include a paragraph or two discussing their skills, experiences, and/or commitments pertaining to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
Review of applicants will begin on July 12, 2021, and will continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences is committed to building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where cultural diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity benefits and enriches the development of all of our students, staff, and faculty in our college. https://www.umass.edu/sbs/diversity-equity-and-inclusion
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.