About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The UMass Amherst TRIPODS Institute for Theoretical Foundations of Data Science invites applications for postdoctoral fellowship positions in data science. Specifically, we seek candidates who work in areas broadly related to the UMass Amherst TRIPODS themes, namely: statistical performance and data acquisition in interactive data collection; algorithms and computational models for processing large amounts of data; model robustness, approximate inference and uncertainty quantification. The Principal Investigators are Patrick Flaherty (Mathematics & Statistics, UMass), Markos Katsoulakis (Mathematics & Statistics, UMass), Arya Mazumdar (Data Science Institute, UCSD), Andrew McGregor (Computer Science, UMass), and Barna Saha (Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, UC Berkeley). For more information on the mission, researchers, and the research directions of the Institute please visit our website, tripods.cs.umass.edu.
- Contributes to research in a highly technical research lab. This can include: developing new ideas, theory, algorithms, and software.
- Supervises research assistants.
- Describes techniques and results for use in scientific papers and conferences; assists in writing reports and articles.
- Assists in organizing workshops, summer schools, and seminars at the TRIPODS Institute.
- Contributes to the development of new research proposals.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet TRIPODS Institute, Department, College, or University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy. Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration. Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity. Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Capacity for excellent research, as demonstrated by publications and other professional activities, appropriate to the number of years in the field.
- Ability to work with a minimal amount of supervision.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
The start date for this position is flexible.
Competitive salary based on experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, candidates are required to submit a cover letter, CV, research statement, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Review of applications will continue until the positions are filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.