About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Architecture at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor to teach undergraduate and graduate architecture design studios, and related coursework. The position will begin September 1, 2022.We welcome candidates who have gained and deployed building technology expertise in varied contexts and have explored their expertise through a design practice.
Successful candidates will be engaged in a creative practice of architecture and will have a strong interest in teaching design studios, and expertise in one or a combination of the following topic areas: building science, environmental science, building technology, high-performance design, and/or fabrication. The candidate will teach two courses per semester - generally an architectural design studio and a required or elective course. Candidates will be expected to continue an active practice of creative and scholarly work within the discipline.
- A professional degree in Architecture (Master of Architecture or equivalent), or a Bachelor of Architecture plus a terminal graduate degree in a related field.
- Demonstrated evidence of design excellence.
- Expertise in one or a combination of the following topic areas: building science, building technology, high-performance design, and/or fabrication.
- Engagement in the practice of architecture.
- Architecture license (or foreign equivalent) or significant progress towards licensure by the time of appointment.
- A demonstrated ability to teach design studios and related coursework in a professional degree program.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, and the university offers an attractive benefits package.
Candidates should submit the following information:
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- A statement of no more than 500 words describing your research, creative, and professional interests.
- A statement of no more than 500 words describing your teaching philosophy
- A statement of no more than 300 words describing your specific commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access as they relate to your research, teaching, service and mentoring.
- Selected samples of work (design, research, practice, and teaching) not to exceed 25MB -or- a link to a website.
- Contact information of three references (including name, title, address, telephone number and email address).
Priority Review begins on January 3, 2022.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.