About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervise and coordinate activities involved in the renovation and alteration of buildings and building systems located on the Amherst campus. Inspect the work of assigned trades personnel and contractors. Assure that scheduled work is properly estimated and coordinated with building occupants. Prepare reports on work in process, work scheduled, and actual cost of work versus estimated cost.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of multi-disciplined work teams engaged in the renovation and alteration of buildings and building systems; includes traditional supervisory duties such as hiring, approval of leave time, coordination of training and motivating, and when needed, disciplining.
- Inspects buildings and building systems scheduled for renovation and alteration to determine the scope of work. Estimates labor, materials, equipment and contractors needed to complete assigned projects, establishes work priorities based on project assignments.
- Determines the need for and acquires materials, equipment and contractors needed to complete assigned projects.
- Maintains records and prepares reports to provide information to superiors concerning work in progress, work completed, and problems
encountered. Monitors the project activities and provides feedback for modifying the project management design and construction procedures to provide for a more effective use of in-house personnel and contractors.
- Inspects work in progress and completed work to verify adherence to specification and job plans.
- Meets routinely with customers affected by project work to determine their needs. Implements new approaches to promote and assure quality improvement and exhibit a clear Commitment to meet the diverse needs of the customers.
- Works with union officials to maintain a harmonious relationship. Participates in grievance meetings as required acting as a first step hearing officer and witness in succeeding steps.
- Understands, is committed to and supports affirmative action and non-discrimination.
- Operates motor vehicle to drive to project site to check on status of the project and deliver parts if necessary.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of the various trades, equipment, materials and safety practices, including the terminology used in the mechanical, electrical and architectural trades involved with maintaining buildings and building systems.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning \\Ork according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of the subordinates and available resources. Controlling work through periodic reviews and evaluations, determining subordinates' training needs and providing such training, motivating subordinates to work effectively, determining the need for disciplinary action and initiating such action.
- Ability to give and follow oral and written instructions, including maintaining accurate records and issuing accurate reports.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans, specifications, blueprints, drawings, job layouts, and schematics.
- Ability to understand, explain and apply the policies, procedures, standards and guidelines governing the assigned work team. Must be capable to work in a union environment and understand the labor relations aspects involved with unionized employees.
- Must be familiar with personal computers and be able and willing to learn and use computer software.
- Knowledge of excel spreadsheets, Microsoft Project, Auto CAD and RS Means.
- Knowledge of carpentry, plumbing and electrical trades.
- Must be physically able to access job sites.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Three years of full time or equivalent part time experience in building maintenance, repair and/or construction.
- At least one year of experience supervising multi-disciplined work teams in the maintenance, repair and/or construction of buildings and building systems.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Construction Supervisor License or will obtain within one year of appointment.
- Current valid Class D Driver's License.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (list knowledges, skills, abilities)
- Certificate in Supervisory Leadership Development issued by the UMA within I year of appointment.
- Knowledge and use of the Facilities and Campus Services work management, job cost and other computer software.
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, standards and guidelines governing the day to day operation of the Alterations Department and the University.
- Knowledge of Advantage, Timekeeper, PIMS, and Summit.
This position includes the obligation to work overtime, and to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed.
Special Instruction to Applicants
Please submit a resume and contact information (phone number and email) for three professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.