About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI) Applied Research and Program Evaluation (ARPE) group partners with organizations across multiple sectors to develop and implement utilization-focused studies that address public health, human services, and educational policies and initiatives. Our philosophy reflects a rigorous but practical orientation, believing that research is most meaningful when findings can be applied to public benefit. We also believe that evaluative work is a key driver in advancing equity and strive to utilize culturally responsive and equitable evaluation practices in all of our work. To this end, we are actively working to engage a diverse team of researchers that is reflective of the communities served by the programs we study.
Research Analysts contribute to project implementation working under the direction of experienced UMDI research professionals. Research Analysts’ work focuses heavily on activities related to data collection, analysis, and reporting of findings. Depending on the qualifications of the successful applicant, the position may entail writing duties and some independent project tasks.
- Complete literature reviews and background research, which may include research articles, secondary data, and policy/program information.
- Develop and/or acquire instruments and training protocols to support primary data collection activities.
- Coordinate logistical support, including working with clients and stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate data collection.
- Identify and utilize secondary data from a range of public and private sources.
- Develop and maintain project databases. Conduct and/or oversee data entry, data management, and quality assurance protocols.
- Conduct analysis of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Contribute to the development of high-quality project deliverables by developing clear visual and narrative descriptive summaries of data.
- Share expertise with colleagues within the business unit and across UMDI.
- Assist with responses to development opportunities, including proposal-related research and writing
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Sociology, Public Health, Public Policy, Psychology or related disciplines;
- Completion of a statistics course and/or research methods course;
- Experience with statistical software such as Stata, SPSS, R, or SAS;
- Demonstrated proficiency in professional office software, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and engage in collaborative research in a team setting.
- This position requires strong attention to detail, high levels of accuracy and organization, and the necessity to meet deadlines.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Education, Sociology, Public Health, Public Policy, Psychology or related disciplines;
- Experience with other specialized software packages such as Qualtrics, NVivo, or Tableau;
- Spanish language proficiency including the ability to effectively conduct business and facilitate data collection activities in Spanish;
- One year of research or other professional experience in the education, human services, or public health sector.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in stationary position, using office equipment and computers, attending meetings, working closely and collaboratively with others.
- Environment is a busy, open office area with multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts, and is contingent upon funding.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- This position is located in Hadley, MA.
- This is a full time benefited position.
- Applicants who are not authorized to work in the U.S. will not be considered.
- Any job offer is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
Standard full-time work schedule consisting of five, eight-hour days and 40 hours each workweek. Work performed in addition to the regular work hours may be necessary, as may be a change in availability at specific times, to accommodate for variations in work demands. UMDI offers flexible work arrangements, including hybrid work schedules.
PSU Pay Level 25
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.