About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervise the preparation of the set up and serving of the meals in a Dining Hall. Continually inspects the food for quality during the meal hours. Trains new employees and performs related work as required.
- Supervises the preparation and the setting up of the dining rooms and serving areas prior to and during each meal during assigned shifts.
- Inspects foods during the meal period for taste, appearance and temperature.
- Supervises the portioning of food to control and eliminate waste.
- Inspects equipment and dining hall for cleanliness and condition of repairs reporting any problems using standard forms and established policy.
- Keeps records of amount of food used and the number of meals served daily.
- Trains new employees using department and University training manuals and materials.
- Assists in recording attendance for dining room employees using department equipment and established procedures.
- Assists in planning and serving special banquets and functions.
- Assigns the work stations and duties to direct reporting staff.
- Secures and issues cash, employee meal tickets and prepares bank deposits.
- Assists in preparing employee annual performance evaluations.
- Receives supervision from the Dining Hall Manager or Assistant Manager who assign work and review performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, policies and procedures governing the department.
- Ability to judge the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods by sensory observation.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to give oral and written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to supervise, including assigning work, providing training and disciplining employees.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to work varied shifts and/or irregular hours (i.e. weekends, holidays, nights)
- At least 3 years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in food service work in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria or catering firm.
- A diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school at a high school level or higher with a major in home economics, culinary arts, food service or food trades may be substituted for the required experience.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- National Restaurant Association Applied Food Service Sanitation certification or willingness to attend the course
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e., ServSafe).
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must provide a resume with the application submission to be considered.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.