About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI) is a public service, outreach, and economic development unit of the University of Massachusetts, providing government, business, and non-profit organizations with effective solutions in the areas of research, organizational development, training, and technical assistance through its 9 distinct business units. UMDI has a budget of approximately $23 million per year and employs approximately 130 full-time professional employees, and 50 part-time, seasonal, and graduate student employees.
MHGBCC is a non-profit One-Stop Career Center that is managed by the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI) and is overseen under charter with the MassHire Greater Brockton Workforce Board (GBWB). MHGBCC is located in downtown Brockton and provides employment and training services to job seekers and employers.
This MHGBCC Customer Relations Specialist is a key member of the Job Seeker Services Team, with the primary responsibility of initial customer assessment and direction of subsequent work flow. The Customer Relations Specialist functions as a communications hub for the office, and assists with the coordination of staff schedules. This position is a pivotal member of a highly integrated team, and has an important role in ensuring customers are directed to the appropriate next steps in their Career Center experience.
The essential functions of the Customer Relations Specialist include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Act as the initial point of contact for the MassHire Greater Brockton Career Center customers.
- Handle meeting and greeting of all the MHGBCC customers.
- Pre-screen customers and determine proper referral to the appropriate service(s) and/or staff member at the MHGBCC or in the community at large.
- Assist customers with their application and enrollment into the Center.
- Primary communication point for incoming calls from the public.
- Independently oversee front desk operations.
- Provide an initial assessment of needs and make decisions regarding subsequent workflow.
- Assess customers for the RESEA program and accurately schedule them for program events.
- Independently make decisions about answering questions or forwarding calls to appropriate staff.
- Facilitate the enrollment of customers into the MHGBCC through the accurate completion of the appropriate intake applications.
- Ensure customers are able to efficiently access appropriate and available career center resources.
- Create a professional and welcoming environment for all customers of the Center including job seekers, businesses, state and local officials.
- Maintain an adequate supply of publically available materials at the front-desk.
- Control the flow of customers into workshops, computer labs, and the Resource Room, while also tracking those activities.
- Maintain organizational staff attendance and direct customers to the appropriate alternative staff members when a schedule change has occurred.
- When applicable, participates in teams to examine processes around customer service.
- Provide clerical support to management when needed.
- Maintain record keeping in accordance with established procedures.
- Assist with the design and creation of marketing materials for such activities as employer recruitments, holidays, and closures.
- Under the supervision of the Manager of Job Seeker Services, update the MassHire Greater Brockton Career Center Social Media accounts including Twitter and Linked-in.
- Provide backup Resource Room coverage as needed.
- Cross train with other team members to provide coverage as needed.
- Participate in business unit and UMDI initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School or GED.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated proficiency in various computer applications required, including Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Three to five years of experience in a similar customer relations position.
- Associates’ Degree.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Demonstrated ability to speak read and write in English, and other additional languages, including but not limited to: Spanish, Cape Verdean, Haitian/Creole, and Portuguese.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in stationary position, using office equipment and computers, attending meetings, working closely and collaboratively with others.
- Environment is a busy, open office area with multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Some moving and transporting of supplies up to 20 pounds.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts, and is contingent upon funding.
- This is a full-time benefited position.
- This position is located in Brockton, MA.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- Applicants should be authorized to work in the U.S. in order to be considered
Standard full time work schedule consisting of five eight-hour days and 40 hours each workweek. Work performed may require a change in availability at specific times to accommodate for variations in work demands.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.