Executive Sous Chef
Job no: 513840
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Catering Food
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of the Director, UMass Catering, the Executive Sous Chef is responsible for management of the production area of UMass Catering to include food preparation, recipe and menu development, staff scheduling as well as and culinary initiatives. The incumbent also works with the Director, UMass Catering in formulating a yearly food budget for the UMass Catering Department.
- Responsible for hands on production, training and supervision of chefs, training and direct supervision of head cooks, cooks and assistant cooks in all areas of production from just-in-time cooking to display cooking and preparing and presenting cold foods. Train culinary staff in cooking and serving methods, portion control, presentation and merchandising. Work with the management team for merchandising all food related events.
- Responsible for developing specialized catering menu planning with the Director, UMass Catering for special events and new catering programs – monthly advertised specials, specialized menu event planning and production for University, Chancellor related events, and weddings. The Executive Sous Chef will develop recipes under the supervision of the Director, UMass Catering.
- Responsible for the food costs in the production areas.
- Participate in programs of quality assurance, peer review, continuing education. Work with the Director, UMass Catering in program enhancements and participate in weekly production and sales meetings.
- Work with the management team in recruiting new staff and provide training and development for all production personnel. Provide direct supervision of 5-8 staff and input to the Director, UMass Catering concerning performance of these staff.
- Work with the Director, UMass Catering in developing the operating food budget, being accountable for operation within budgetary constraints. Provide leadership functions within food production. Assist in establishing strategic direction and set operating policies. Assist in controlling food cost, maximizing revenue potential and net income for the Catering Services. Monitor the current industry market trends and apply these as needed to catering services.
- Schedule production staff meetings weekly. Maintain sufficient staffing and scheduling within kitchen and pot room, and promote good staff morale.
- Implement the Standard Operation Procedures (SOP).
- Demonstrate and enforce (Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Points) HACCP principles to include the supervision and maintaining of the sanitary conditions of the food storage areas and pot room area.
- Communicate with the Director, UMass Catering in advance of making changes to menus; order food and supplies, supervise procurement, production and inventory controls; forecast food consumption and maintain accurate records for ordering.
- Supervise all back of the house functions including safety/sanitation and quality control and be visible during events in both back and front of the house.
- Work with the management team in the implementation of the FoodPro Menu Management and Inventory System and implementation of Catering Recipes.
- Understand and be committed to, and supportive of affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer-focused quality services.
- Perform other food and beverage activities and duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related area or certified culinary arts diploma from an accredited culinary school and more than 3 years chef or hospitality management experience in a high volume and high quality operation (college, university, hotel) and high-end catering services.
- Sanitation Certificate required.
- Certification by a recognized culinary program a plus e.g., American Culinary Federation (ACF)
- Experience with a computerized menu management system is preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time and able to lift 25 -30 lbs.
- Varies based on the needs of the department
- May require weekends and evening hours.
PSU Salary Level 28
PSU Salary Schedule
Along with you application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional reference. Search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend