About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of the Executive Chef, Residential Dining Services, the Executive Sous Chef is responsible for management of the production area of the dining commons, including quality control, line presentation, and customer service. Supervisory responsibilities include food preparation, food purchasing, recipe and menu development, staff scheduling as well as culinary initiatives. This position is also responsible for the planning and implementation of special projects designated by the Executive Director, Auxiliary Enterprises as deemed necessary. The incumbent of this position will execute menu and SOP’s implemented by the Senior Culinary Leadership.
- Responsible for day to day culinary supervision of the Dining Commons. The incumbent will assure the unit complies with UMass Dining’s mission to serve a variety of healthy world cuisine featuring local ingredients in the most sustainable and environmentally conscious manner. Duties include hands on production, training and supervision of unit chefs, head cooks, cooks and assistant cooks in all areas of production from just-in-time cooking to display cooking and preparing and presenting cold foods. Train culinary staff in cooking and serving methods, portion control, presentation, waste reduction and plate presentation. Work with the unit management team for merchandising all food related events.
- Responsible for overseeing the culinary operations of the dining commons specials by working with the culinary staff in executing specialized event menus. The incumbent will work with guest chefs’ to assure proper menu execution.
- Responsible for the culinary financial metrics: food, labor, etc. of assigned Dining Commons.
- Participate in programs of quality assurance, peer review and continuing education. Assists the Dining Commons manager to develop and implement special programs to put students first, including marketing and promotion, customer services and new concepts in the day to day operations.
- Assists the Dining Commons Manager in recruiting new staff and provide training and development for all production personnel. Provides direct supervision to 4-6 staff and input to the Director, Residential Dining Operations and Executive Chef, Residential Dining Services. Supervises student staff during events.
- Works within the established operating food budget, being accountable for operation within budgetary constraints. Provide leadership functions within food production. Assist in establishing strategic direction and set operating policies. Continuously work to develop program enhancements to increase customer satisfaction. Monitor the current industry market trends and apply these as needed to dining services.
- Schedule production staff meetings weekly and promote positive staff morale.
- Participate in the development of departmental goals and organizational structure; assist in the development and implementation of operating policies, systems and procedures.
- Demonstrate and enforce Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles and food allergy program.
- Communicates with the Dining Commons Manager, Director, Residential Dining and Executive Chef in advance of making changes to menus; order food and supplies, supervise procurement, production and inventory controls.
- Supervises all back of the house functions including safety/sanitation and quality control and be visible during events in both back and front of the house.
- Works with the management team in the implementation of the Menu Management and Inventory System and recipe implementation.
- Understand and be committed to, and supportive of affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer-focused quality services.
- Perform other food and beverage activities and duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area such as hospitality management or certified culinary arts diploma from on accredited culinary school.
- Three (3) years of chef or hospitality management experience in a high volume and high quality operation (college, university, hotel).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time and able to lift 25 -30 lbs.
- Sanitation Certificate.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Certification by a recognized culinary program e.g., American Culinary Federation (ACF).
- Experience with a computerized menu management system.
- 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- Will require weekends.
- May require holidays.
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must provide a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Search may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.