About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Creates, executes, and evaluates communications plans to inform the UMass Amherst community about IT services, policies, and initiatives; serves as project manager for communications projects, such as Cyber Security Awareness Month and IT Web site redesigns and upgrades; uses a content management system to maintain and organize IT Web site including the Support Center and a central repository for self-help documentation; identifies content needs, researches, writes, and proofreads copy and content for electronic and print communications; works in close collaboration with IT project team leaders and other campus communications professionals. This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week.
- In collaboration with IT project team leaders and the Communications Manager, creates, implements, and evaluates communications plans for IT initiatives (e.g., wireless expansion project).
- Serves as project manager for communications and web development projects; defines and documents project goals and timelines; tracks and confirms project milestones; coordinates project resources and internal and external project team members.
- Utilizes the content management system to organize and manage the IT Web site to inform the University community about campus technology resources, policies, and initiatives.
- Identifies communications vehicles that meet project and organizational objectives and are appropriate to target audiences.
- Identifies content needs, researches, writes, and proofreads copy and content for electronic and print materials, including brochures, emails, Web content, and press releases.
- Translates complex technical information into procedural documentation easily understood by a non- technical audience. Maintains IT's style guide for technical documentation.
- Uses Web analytics and other evaluation tools to assess the effectiveness of IT's communications efforts.
- Coordinates IT-sponsored events that support and further IT's mission and services.
- Ensures that IT communications utilize institutional brand guidelines as defined by University Relations.
- Coordinates with IT's Network Systems and Services staff to provide mission critical access to the IT Web site 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Anticipates changes in technology and plans for the orderly evolution of the IT Web presence and other communications vehicles. Maintains currency with evolving Web design and project management technology tools.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's Degree.
- One (1) year of experience in publishing, marketing, public relations, communications or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute communication plans successfully. Experience using a variety of communication channels to advance organizational goals.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Excellent use of grammar and style. Experience designing and delivering effective presentations.
- Knowledge of digital and traditional marketing best practices - including email marketing, social media, and working with brand standards.
- Demonstrated experience leading collaborative projects across departments and disciplines.
- Experience translating complex technical information into a written format easily understood by a non technical audience.
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, or other desktop publishing software.
- Knowledge of Web usability and accessibility, especially in higher education.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects/assignments simultaneously.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working with information technology products and services.
- Experience creating functional specifications and Web or paper-based prototypes.
- Familiarity with Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, or other screencasting software.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday-Friday, 9 am - 5 pm (37.5 hours per week).
- Some nights and weekend hours required to respond to critical system outages or upgrades.
- Participate in team on-call rotation.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.