Service Desk Specialist I / EDP Programmer I (3 positions)
Job no: 514266
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Operations
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Service Desk Specialist I assists members of the UMass Amherst community (students, staff and faculty) with a wide range of technology and IT account related questions in person, over the telephone, by email, through the web, or via chat. The Service Desk Specialist I documents all user communications in Service Desk ticket tracking system and uses sound judgment when analyzing client questions in order to fulfill service requests and identify problems, determining appropriate strategies for troubleshooting/fulfillment and reassigning/referring the issue where appropriate.
- Serves as a customer service representative for UMass IT, providing timely responses to requests for IT technical support and service received via telephone, e-mail, web, chat, or in person. Provides efficient and effective tier 1-2 technical support.
- Provides, estimates, or expedites the fulfillment of requests for service, or initiates corrective action and assists in coordinating resolution of issues, including but not limited to configuration of hardware, software, account management, telephony, IT services, or escalation or reassignment of ticket to appropriate staff and departments when necessary.
- Uses appropriate knowledge bases, relevant research, and available tools to troubleshoot and resolve various technical problems or fulfill requests for service.
- Contributes to the IT knowledge base by writing and updating both publicly and privately facing documentation for supported software and services.
- Documents support activity, including communication, troubleshooting steps taken, issue resolution activities, and service request fulfillment procedures in ticket tracking system.
- Tracks and monitors unresolved problems, inquiries, requests, and tickets to ensure a timely resolution and the highest levels of customer satisfaction; Reviews work queues consistently throughout the day to prevent overdue and languishing tickets; escalates, reassigns, and resolves as necessary.
- Works with department representatives, on-campus project managers, outside contractors, and other IT staff to create and monitor the timely completion of work and assure proper billing for services installed.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Complies with all of the policies and procedures associated with IT Service Management (ITSM).
- Recognizes and identifies potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed and assist in implementing appropriate changes.
- Participates in the planning and deployment of new and upgraded services.
- Represents IT Service Desk at meetings and information planning sessions.
- Maintains an awareness of advancements in technology, such as hardware, software, and services, that will impact effectiveness across the enterprise and keep current with industry and ITSM best practices.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Provides feedback and recommendations for support materials for UMass IT services (e.g., online and print documentation; video tutorials; presentations).
- High school degree with one (1) year experience with any of the following: hardware and software troubleshooting and repair; installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of workstation operating systems and applications; installation, configuration and troubleshooting of network client software. An IT-related including engineering associate or bachelor’s degree may be substituted for the required experience.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and the appropriate tact and diplomacy to project a positive image of IT and UMass to external as well as internal audiences.
- Ability to work successfully with diverse groups of technical and non-technical faculty, staff, vendors, and students.
- Experience with operating systems and platforms and with hardware, software, and services that are in general use within higher educational institutions.
- Ability to operate computer and peripheral equipment.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, with demonstrated attention to detail, and ability to follow detailed instructions and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex problems and use sound judgment when analyzing client questions to identify problems and determine the appropriate strategies for troubleshooting these problems.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and able to accurately communicate with non-technical individuals on technical matters.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Customer service experience in a technical work environment is preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Standing, and ability to lift 50lbs.
- Typical Office Activities.
- There are three (3) vacancies for this position.
- Regular 37.5 hours a week.
- First and second shifts available.
- Required to work some nights and some weekends, schedule may vary.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the University Staff Association, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the University Staff Association collective bargaining agreement, therefore.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend