Assistant Professor (Communication) – Critical Media Production/Film Studies
Job no: 514284
Work type: Faculty Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Faculty, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a tenure-track position in Film Studies and Media Production. We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration. We seek a colleague who is a Film Studies maker-scholar and whose research includes a commitment to critical paradigms expressed and embodied both in scholarly publication as well as through moving image production.
This maker-scholar position will help integrate our Film Studies curriculum with our Media Production offerings, while expanding the range of courses we offer in both these areas at the undergraduate and graduate levels. This position extends a department tradition and commitment to original, interdisciplinary research that includes written as well as critical and multi-modal scholarship. Specific areas of expertise are open, with preference for candidates whose work is focused on Black cinema and expressive culture, critical race, and/or postcolonial perspectives on film and media.
PhD in Film Studies, Media Studies, Communication or related discipline by time of appointment.
The appointment is expected to begin September 1, 2023.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter addressed to Professor Shawn Shimpach, Chair of the Search Committee, Integrative Learning Center, Rm N332, 650 N. Pleasant St., University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003.
- Portfolio of recent moving image media production work and/or multi-modal scholarship, including contents list, full production credits, list of specific media production proficiencies, and files or links to at least two samples.
- One article-length example of research.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- One-page Diversity Statement discussing skills, experiences, and commitment to: teaching and mentoring diverse and historically underrepresented student populations, professional service that assists in achieving equity, inclusion, and diversity, and how past or future research addresses fundamental questions important to an increasingly diverse and global society.
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual’s record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic career and degree.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend