About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Communications and Recruitment Manager facilitates the recruitment of prospective students and on-going communications with current students and program stakeholders, with an emphasis towards meeting enrollment goals for the Data Analytics and Computational Social Science program (DACSS). The Manager will utilize Customer Relationship Management software (CRM), hold prospective student and yield events, provide admissions counseling, and assess activity effectiveness to achieve position goals.
- Oversee the identification and recruitment of individuals who may be interested in DACSS programs and engage in lead management using CRM software. Collect data from Salesforce and other sources to prepare regular reports for the Director and Associate Director, on prospective student activities, yield rates and the effectiveness of recruitment and enrollment activities.
- Build and maintain contact lists for prospective, admitted and current students.
- Produce and disseminate informational communications, including financial aid opportunities, to prospective, admitted and current students. Post informational content to the Program website.
- Direct recruitment efforts and admissions counseling for applicants to the DACSS programs. Train and manage student admissions peer advisors.
- Manage prospective student and admitted student events and communications, including workshops, new student orientation and programs that support recruitment and enrollment yield goals.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive strategic communication plan for all constituents that includes recruitment and retention efforts and serves admitted students, utilizing traditional and electronic publishing technologies and social media outlets.
- Routinely evaluate and provide input on the effectiveness of communication strategies and adjust as necessary to support the program’s goals. Develop and manage associated implementation timelines.
- Monitor and advise the work of student employees who are also working as content generators across multiple media.
- Collaborate with appropriate marketing staff in the development and distribution of promotional materials, including electronic newsletters and other communications for current and prospective students, alumni and other program stakeholders. Share program news and events with College and University communications staff and collaborate on generation and distribution as needed.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to contribute to the School’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree with three (3) years of experience in marketing or program recruitment.
- Able to understand and identify the needs of students, and translate those needs into programmatic solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, prospective and current students, and off-campus constituents.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely and to articulate ideas, concepts, regulations, policies/procedures and proposals.
- Ability to facilitate collaborative projects that enhance student recruitment and enrollment goals.
- High level computer proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, database management and data synthesis.
- Excellent ability to collect data from multiple sources and create new reports that add value to program goals.
- Excellent ability to work both independently and to be part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style.
- Desire to create a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Desire to implement departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work with initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful operation and administration of the program.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with independence, competent judgment and discretion.
- Extensive organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and policies, and create effective and efficient work processes.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality. Ability to assume responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest, and behave in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Driving, travel to other campuses, and typical office environment activity.
- Ability to attend recruitment events on and off campus.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Night and weekends required.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.