About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under general direction from the Director of Student Affairs Communication, the Marketing and Communications Coordinator is responsible for Residential Life Student Services and Residence Education marketing, communications, social media, and strategic initiatives for over 13,300 on-campus students in 52 residence halls and related audiences of prospective students, families and staff. Work will be performed in accordance with established University and Student Affairs and Campus Life (SACL) guidelines. Serving a key role in SACL communications efforts, this position will also collaborate with SACL Communications and SACL Technology Services on broader communications initiatives. This position reports to Director of SACL Communications and Professional Development, with functional day-to-day supervision from directors of residence education and residential life student services. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator represents Residential Life to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Marketing and Communications: Implement comprehensive marketing and communications plans to include branding, timelines, objectives, and related data analysis for all prospective students, current students, family, and staff informational interfaces. This includes website management, mailings, flyers/brochures, banners, posters, email communications, calendars, presentations, etc., as well as the room assignments interface. Responsible for ensuring accurate and timely communication of crucial processes; including, move-in, move-out, and assignments selection, billing, and deadlines. Develop and implement a strategic plan for Residential Life media platforms; develop and administer best practices and policies for social media content; and implement collaborative projects with SACL communications. This includes, but is not limited to, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Podcasts, and selective TV/Radio broadcasts. Manage related branding and generate content to include surveys, contests, blogs, videos, interviews, hashtag campaigns; and maintain the departmental photo stock. Initiate and oversee the Residential Life Social Media Team which maintains a 24/7 presence for campus events in order to build content and connect students to Residential Life media.
- Applications Management: Responsible for updating mobile apps/communities designed to keep students informed of key policies, procedures, and events. Lead collaborations with University offices, University Relations, and related stakeholders to create, test, and maintain content including, but not limited to, emergency procedures, incident reports, campus navigation tools, event calendars, and more. Facilitate engagement by developing campaign ideas and supporting key Residential Life and SACL communications strategies that foster audience (potential and current students, faculty, staff, donors, alumni, and corporate partners) connection with interfaces and each other.
- Strategic Initiatives: In collaboration with SACL Communications, coordinate strategic, collaborative departmental and University-wide initiatives. Develop positive and effective working relationships with colleagues, campus partners and contractors/vendors including key stakeholders such as Admissions, New Students Orientation, Dean of Students Office, etc. Utilize clear and open communication patterns, make timely and appropriate decisions, actively participate in key professional development organizations, and demonstrate leadership and professionalism throughout work.
- Supervision: Directly supervise the Residential Life Social Media Team (RLSMT) of undergraduate staff. Manage the hiring, on-boarding, training, development, scheduling/assignments, performance reviews, disciplinary concerns, and off-boarding for staff. Engage staff in unit, department, divisional and institutional goals and events. Lead regular and effective meetings, provide context for decisions, foster open lines of communication, maintain confidentiality, and cultivate a staff culture rooted in collaboration, civility, adaptability, and professionalism.
- Assessment: Lead assessment initiatives for the Residential Life Student Services team, serve as a SACL Assessment Liaison, and take responsibility for the implementation of fair, effective, confidential, and well-documented assessment practices within the scope of the position. Manage related benchmarking responsibilities and regularly meet with the Director of Student Services and Director of Residence Education to establish related best practices and learning outcomes. Coordinate with SACL Communications, Student Affairs Technology Services, and SACL Assessment in the collection of data for reporting and optimization with attention given to email marketing systems. Create cohesive, efficient and sustainable procedures that focus on continuous improvement, are rooted in core competencies development and align with University, Student Affairs & Campus Life, and departmental guidelines and expectations.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in any area of study.
- Three (3) years’ work experience in housing/residential life or a related setting.
- Strong ability to plan and execute complex projects, often working with other stakeholders to achieve results.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
- Demonstrated excellent communications skills (written, oral, and presentation).
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work through projects and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Previous practical experience in developing web, social media, video, print and related forms of marketing materials.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Service Cloud.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment
- Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm; Some nights and weekends required
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.