Cook III (Mt Ida Campus)
Job no: 514845
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: Mt. Ida - Newton
Department: Mt Ida Dining
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Working supervision of all food preparation within a Dining Hall; supervise preparation of special functions; performs related work as required.
- Ensures that the preparation and cooking of the meals is in accordance with the established menu and recipes.
- Supervise all kitchen personnel in the preparation and cooking of the meals to insure the quality and quantity meet established standards.
- Communicates with the Manager or Assistant Manager on the use of all unused portions.
- Read menus and recipes to get information on quantities of food to order and prepare.
- Insures the strict adherence to the department supply systems and recipes.
- Communicates with the Manager or Assistant Manager in advance of making any changes to the menu.
- Insures that all kitchen personnel maintain department policies and procedures.
- Follows and enforces proper sanitary procedures and methods.
- Keep records of supplies, production and usage.
- Participates in the performance evaluation of all kitchen personnel.
- Inspects food for appearance, taste and temperature for health and safety reasons.
- Supervises the preparation of food at special functions as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in food handling, storage, preparation, cooking and serving.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in food handling, storage, preparation and cooking.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for safe handling and storage of food.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of utensils and equipment used in food preparation and cooking such as ovens, knives, stoves, steamers, etc.
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in serving food.
- Knowledge of the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods.
- Ability to judge the proper quality, appearance and condition of food by sensory observation.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished.
- Ability to give oral and written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to conduct training.
- Degree or diploma from a culinary school and two years of lead/supervisory experience in a hotel, large restaurant, cafeteria, catering firm, government or private institutional kitchen setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application and submit resume with contact information for (3) three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend