About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The UMass Donahue Institute (UMDI) Nonprofit Funding and Fiscal Solutions NFFS Project Management & Research Specialist will work directly with the NFFS Project Manager, Director, and other UMDI staff, consultants, and clients to support project development, research, and implementation of client services. This role has direct accountability for sustaining and enhancing client relationships and ensuring client satisfaction and business development.
- Project Management
- Prepare proposals, outreach materials, and deliverables.
- Serve as first point of contact for NFFS and the Nonprofit Sustainability Center (NSC). Oversee implementation of the NSC strategic communications and public relations plan.
- Oversee production and dissemination of the Nonprofit Sustainability Center periodic newsletter.
- Create up-to-date content to maintain social media presence (NSC blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Coordinate project activities; manage meeting logistics; and ensure adherence to timelines and workplans.
- Record and disseminate team and meeting notes; identify, develop, and distribute resources; maintain project management systems.
- Research Analysis
- Complete research-related client deliverables, including literature reviews and background research.
- Develop and/or acquire instruments to support primary data collection activities.
- Develop and maintain project databases, data management, and quality assurance protocols.
- Conduct analysis of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Training & Technical Assistance
- Manage training programs and capacity building events, including overseeing event logistics and the production and distribution of materials.
- Serve as central coordinator and host for virtual events and liaise with clients, speakers, and co-organizers.
- Produce and assemble PowerPoint decks, including PowerPoint reports and webinars.
- Utilize collaboration and education technology/software (e.g., SmartSheet, Slack) to track training and technical assistance projects and deliverables.
- Actively participate in business unit and UMDI-wide initiatives as requested.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least one (1) year of client-focused professional experience in the nonprofit, education, human services, or public health sector, with strong client relationship and communication skills.
- Proficiency with multiple data and presentation systems.
- Demonstrated ability/experience in:
- time management and prioritization;
- working independently and as part of a team, with various levels of supervision and support;
- organizational, analytical, writing, and communication skills;
- ability to think creatively and propose solutions;
- appropriate handling of confidential information and materials.
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and building networks among the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Completion of a statistics course and/or research methods course.
- Three (3) years of professional experience in the nonprofit, education, human services, or public health sector.
- Two (2) years’ experience in grant writing, or fundraising.
- Experience with statistical, research and analytics software such as SPSS or Qualtrics.
- Able to quickly master and utilize project management systems.
- Proficient in social media web and presentation platforms.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in a stationary position, using office equipment and computers, attending meetings, working closely and collaboratively with others.
- Office environment is a busy, open area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Some lifting and transporting supplies and materials up to 20 pounds.
- Position may require occasional travel within Massachusetts, and nationwide.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a full-time, benefited position.
- This position is available for work in Hadley, MA.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts and is contingent upon funding.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- Applicants who are not authorized to work in the U.S. will not be considered.
- Any job offer is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- UMass Donahue Institute YouTube Channel
- The standard full-time work schedule consists of five (5), eight (8) hour days and 40 hours each week.
- Work performed in addition to regular hours may be necessary, as may be a change in availability at specific times, to accommodate for variations in work demands
- This position has the opportunity for a remote work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where the employee’s work location is to work from a site other than the UMass Amherst campus. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.