About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (http://www.umass.edu/pbs/) invites applications for an open-rank, tenure-stream faculty position that would include serving as Associate Chair for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) in our department starting in fall 2023. We seek top candidates with expertise in Diversity Science, whose research contributes to understanding human difference within the context of historically-shaped cultural and systemic power structures. The ideal candidate would provide leadership in supporting our department as we strive to be a diverse community that challenges existing inequitable structures and shares responsibility for creating an inclusive and equitable environment. This position is open to candidates at the Associate or Full Professor rank, but candidates at the advanced Assistant Professor level will also be considered.
- Will primarily focus on research, mentoring, and administration, with reduced teaching responsibilities.
- As Associate Chair for DEI, will organize, facilitate, and provide consultation on current and future department initiatives. These initiatives may include supporting research with diverse communities; ensuring a diverse and inclusive curriculum; recruiting a diverse faculty, staff, and student body; and fostering an inclusive climate that allows members of our community to thrive.
- Will have an active research lab that builds on our department’s growing research specialty in Diversity Science.
- Will be active in graduate mentoring.
- Will engage in inclusive teaching at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
- Will have the opportunity to be active in our university-wide Diversity Science Initiative that seeks to connect faculty across campus who conduct diversity-related research.
- Will have the opportunity to collaborate with other college and university-wide DEI initiatives.
- Ph.D. in any area of psychology or a related discipline.
- An established record of scholarship, teaching, and service.
- An outstanding record of research in the field of Diversity Science.
- Demonstrated leadership in promoting DEI in academic and/or community settings.
- Excellent record of graduate and/or undergraduate mentoring.
- Excellent record of graduate and/or undergraduate teaching.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, statement of research interests and teaching philosophy, three samples of representative research papers, contact information for three (3) professional references, and a diversity statement (see below).
The Diversity Statement should identify past experiences and future goals. These contributions may result from lived experiences, scholarships, and/or mentoring, teaching, and outreach activities. The Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences (PBS) is part of the College of Natural Sciences. As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide materials that address the standards and criteria for tenure at the University of Massachusetts Amherst as described in our Academic Personnel Policy (also known as the “Red Book”).
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. For questions about this position, please contact the search committee chair, Professor Lisa Harvey at email@example.com.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.