About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the State Director of the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center, the regional director will provide leadership and oversight for the development, implementation, and operations of the Western Regional Office of the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC) located in Springfield, MA. The MSBDC is a full service center designed to meet the needs of the Western MA counties clients interested in starting or growing a small or emerging business. The SBDC provides business advising, entrepreneurial training, assistance with business financing, as well as networking opportunities for regional businesses. The MSBDC program at UMass Amherst is funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration and the Massachusetts Office of Business Development, and is administered by UMass/Amherst Isenberg School of Management. The regional director leads growth and development of a quality SBDC program. The position is responsible for all programmatic reports and databases relative to the center’s operations; supervision and evaluation of SBDC staff as appropriate to deliver services and support to the network in order to meet SBDC objectives and the statewide MSBDC strategic plan.
- Directs, manages and markets the SBDC to geographically dispersed clients, service providers and business organizations in Western Massachusetts.
- Plans, organizes, supervises and evaluates the work of assigned advising, training and administrative staff who deliver direct services to potential or current small business owners.
- Responsible for managing and motivating a staff of professional advisors and ensuring they maintain and improve skill levels necessary to support current and future client needs.
- Analyzes need, develops and oversees the design, organization and delivery of seminars geared to the small business client.
- Develops private, public and non-profit sector relationships to create a network of professional contacts, and financial sources, for SBDC clients.
- Implement and develop best practices while maintaining full compliance with Small Business Administration/OSBDC policies and requirements.
- Prepare the regional center for annual MSBDC site reviews, SBA program reviews as well as national ASBDC accreditation reviews
- Uses MSBDC state office metrics to evaluate and improve the impact of the SBDC’s business programs and internal operations in accordance with SBA and MSBDC guidelines and monthly goals.
- Raises and secure funding in support of the Center’s training and programmatic goals from private foundations, corporate sponsorships and other appropriate partners.
- Provides business advisory services and assistance in raising capital for emerging and small business owners 50% time.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to students, faculty, staff and the business community - of varying racial, ethnic, religious, gender, cultural, disability and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- MBA degree from an accredited management program or equivalent master’s degree in management or related discipline with a minimum of five (5) years experience in business advising, entrepreneurial training, business financing and networking, or Bachelor’s degree in management or related discipline with a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in business advising, entrepreneurial training, business financing, and networking.
- Experience in recruiting, motivating, managing and evaluating highly skilled professional staff.
- Experience operating personal computers with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in the management of a small business.
- Previous experience in designing, organizing, and teaching seminars for small businesses.
- Experience in small business advising, finance, and/or accounting.
- Experience with networking and creating solid business relationships.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bilingual language skills preferred (Spanish preferred).
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment activity.
- Travel to meetings, outreach events, chambers of commerce, etc.
- This position is located at Springfield Technical Community College in Springfield, MA.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, Diversity Statement (see below) and contact information for three (3) professional references.
The Statement of Contribution to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion should identify past experience and future goals. These contributions may result from lived experiences, scholarships and/or mentoring, teaching and outreach activities.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.