Maintainer I - Custodial 3rd Shift
Job no: 516881
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Custodial Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs general janitorial duties in connection with cleaning and maintenance of campus facilities. Performs related work as required.
- Removes trash and waste from premises as required and places outside building in appropriate area. Washes trash and waste receptacles as required by scrubbing containers and rinsing with hose to provide sanitary conditions and minimize pest infestation.
- Clean bathrooms including toilets, urinals, sinks, bathtubs, showers (where applicable), shelves, stall partitions, floor area, walls, drains, mirrors and ventilation units, to ensure clean, sanitary and disinfected area. Also replenish paper products, soap products and sanitary napkin dispensers.
- Cleans building interiors by dusting, washing and/or polishing walls, ceilings, doors, furniture, and horizontal surfaces, glass and mirrors to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Cleans interior glass as required by washing with a glass cleaning solution and washes windows outside.
- Maintains carpet areas as required by vacuuming, shampooing and spot removing to prolong life of floor surface and maintain cleanliness.
- Maintains hard floor surfaces as required, by sweeping, wet or dry mopping, stripping, and waxing to prolong life of floor surface and to maintain cleanliness.
- Keeps exterior areas immediately adjacent to buildings clean by sweeping, raking, and shoveling snow.
- Replaces light bulbs and/or fluorescent tubes as required and washes light fixtures to maintain a safe and well-lighted environment.
- Moves and arranges furniture as required in order to provide an attractive facility. May be required to lay down and remove tarpaulins and set up and knock down chairs and tables on the premises for University functions.
- Removes water from areas caused by, but not limited to leaks, water line breaks, clogged drains, overflows, rainstorms, and roof leaks, utilizing wet vacuums, pumps, mops and pails, floor squeegees etc. to prevent damage to and maintain an attractive facility.
- Cleans offices, classrooms, laboratories, corridors, stairwells, elevators, blackboards/whiteboards, water fountains, and other spaces in assigned buildings, using various materials and equipment to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Maintains orderly custodial closet and follows instructions on the proper use of materials, supplies and equipment.
- May be required to deliver packages within the building.
- Maintains entryways and entryway mats as required by sweeping, mopping and vacuuming.
- Locks and unlocks premises to maintain security and provide ease in entry.
- Performs simple general maintenance by replacing belts, tightening screws, and cleaning equipment to keep machinery and equipment in good working condition.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the workplace and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction in English.
- Ability to physically perform manual tasks, climb stairs, climb ladders, lift and bend.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods and under varying climatic conditions.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends, holidays and rotating shifts.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Required to perform manual labor for extended periods and under varying climatic conditions.
This position is designated as essential personnel. This includes the obligation to work overtime, to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed, and to report to work during any delays, early departures, and closures. Incumbent is responsible for providing the service desk with current phone number(s).
Friday-Tuesday, 11:00PM - 7:00AM.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete online application and provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend