About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Athletics, Facilities, Operations & Events, responsible for providing leadership to the day-to-day facility and event operations for the University of Massachusetts Division I intercollegiate athletics program. Execute all aspects of event management, crowd management, venue set up and tear down, coordination of visiting teams and officials, leadership of contest management committee and branding facility projects. Execute facility management efforts, maintenance, renovations and special projects as assigned by the Associate Director of Athletics, Facilities, Operations & Events. Supervises interns, student and event staff.
- Direct oversight of Game Operations and Contest Management for all varsity sports programs. Administers the conduct of all regular season and post season home competition. Oversight and execution of all conference tournaments, post-season championships, and special athletic events. Serves as Event Manager for assigned sports. Arranges security, custodial & grounds and other requirements for events as needed. Arranges for facilities, officials, visiting team correspondence and needs, and other elements of quality event management. Serves as Athletic Department liaison for visiting teams and officials. Schedules and coordinates visiting team practices. Oversight and execution of all branding athletic facility projects and other special projects as assigned by the Associate Director of Athletics, Facilities, Operations & Events.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director of Athletics, Facilities, Operations & Events, maintains and distributes the master events calendar of the department. Resolves scheduling conflicts. Coordinates and leads the Contest Management Committee. Consults with Facilities Office regarding Contest Management venue preparation duties including oversight of planning, staffing and set-up and breakdown. Develops the hiring pool of department wide event staff workers. Hires, trains, schedules and supervises all student employees.
- Assists with daily operations of all sport programs. Creates and updates operations manuals and checklists for all sports. Modifies or updates manager guidelines, notebooks and competition scheduling policy for event operations. Assists in the creation and implementation of emergency plans and procedures. Maintains and distributes event staff database and information.
- Works with potential internal and external rental groups to plan and approve details of proposed facility and fields uses. Assists event management staff with all outside events, serves as liaison to contracting groups, arranges logistics, serves as on site supervisor, ensures event runs smoothly and to the standards established by UMass Athletics and at the conclusion the facility is clean and in working condition.
- Oversees, schedules and coordinates all aspects of sports camps/clinics for UMass head and assistant coaches. Administers facility request forms for all varsity team camps and clinics. Updates camp & clinic database and maintains accurate records. Responsible for invoice generation and record keeping for camps/clinics and external rentals. Ensures “close-out” form including closing sport program activity checklist has been fully executed at the completion of the event.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery, and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill, and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercise care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Required to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management or related field.
- Two (2) years of relevant experience in a collegiate, professional, and/or minor league sports setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the day-to-day operations of an intercollegiate athletics department.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with various constituencies.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Perform accurate, detail oriented work and manage multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid Class D MA Driver’s License within first 30 days of employment.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Extended periods of standing; nights, weekends, and holiday work required.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm or as dictated by job demands.
- Nights, weekends and holidays required.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.