Senior Business Advisor - MA Small Business Development Center (Hybrid Opportunity)
Job no: 517540
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst, Mt. Ida - Newton
Department: MA Small Business Dev Ctr
About UMass Amherst - Mount Ida Campus
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The Mount Ida Campus of UMass Amherst is located in Newton, MA adjacent to the Newton-Needham Innovation District, and the tech-focused Route 128 corridor. At Mount Ida, UMass Amherst offers an array of experiential learning opportunities to its undergraduate students, as well as a growing number of graduate and professional degree programs. The campus is growing its undergraduate career development programs with expanded access to internships and co-ops in the thriving Greater Boston area.
The Senior Business Advisor offers technical assistance in the areas of marketing, finance, personnel, and other management areas to small businesses throughout Boston, Massachusetts area communities through the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC). The Senior Business Advisor may assist in the other functions of the Center including conferences, training programs, advocacy and promotional activities.
- Provides management counseling to small business in various areas of management problems such as financial, marketing and accounting.
- Assists clients in the preparation of business plans.
- Assists and conduct seminars and conferences for the Center’s clientele.
- Assists and participates in any MSBDC functions.
- Develops working relationships with public and private financial agencies.
- Consults in outreach centers throughout the Boston, Massachusetts regional counties.
- Consults with small businesses at their place of business.
- Coordinates and recruits presenters for MSBDC training activities.
- Assist in related duties as requested by the Boston Regional Director.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major area related to business management.
- A minimum of four to five (4-5) years of direct working experience in managing or consulting with small business.
- Above average ability in communicating and writing.
- Knowledge about public and private funding sources for small business.
- Working knowledge of debt and equity financing.
- Working knowledge of computer spreadsheets and financial packages.
- Working knowledge of conventional commercial lending practices and criteria along with a familiarity of unconventional funding sources and government agencies is desirable.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s Degree in Business Management.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment activity.
- This is a term limited, grant funded position. Renew of position is contingent upon funding.
- This position is located in the MSBDC Boston regional Office located on the Mt. Ida campus in Newton, MA.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend