Property and Inventory Compliance Specialist
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Property and Inventory Manager, the Property and Inventory Compliance Specialist manages the PeopleSoft Asset Management database. This position is responsible for the continuous physical inventory of all UMass capital equipment, including federally funded equipment.
- Implements all maintenance of the PeopleSoft Asset Management database. Maintains property and inventory records in accordance with established guidelines.
- Analyzes the interface feed of equipment acquisition transactions which is used as the basis for campus capital reporting and is subject to audit and inspection. Evaluates data feeds to prevent audit irregularities.
- Analyzes information gathered from the barcoding process into the Asset Management database using PeopleSoft panels or scripts. Educates campus staff regarding University policies and procedures related to the physical inventory process.
- Identifies anomalies that may have a campus-wide impact based on the review of the reconciliation of A/P interface table to asset additions. Ensures the proper roll-forward of additions, retirement, and depreciation. Rectifies discrepancies with the appropriate party.
- Utilizes knowledge of federal sponsored property reporting requirements, and inspects unique and complex Federal award documentation, to interpret the applicability of certain federal equipment reporting requirements. Coordinates with the Office of Post Award Management and the Research Accounting department to document and submit the reports to the Sponsor.
- Initiates, schedules, and facilitates physical inventories of all campus equipment on a continuous basis. Coordinates the timing of inventory with departmental staff, generates a database of all equipment located in each building. Ensures accuracy and completeness of inventory upload into the Asset Management system. Researches any reconciling items; generating exception list (query/spreadsheet) to resolve any discrepancies identified.
- Resolves the disposition of missing items in collaboration with campus departmental equipment coordinators. Provides guidance to departments relating to complex inventory questions, including the disposals and transfers of equipment to be used off campus. Provides information to campus auditors to verify the disposition of equipment.
- Provides reports to the campus Controller on the status of physical inventory. Processes reports and inquiries when requested by departments concerning their inventory.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Functional knowledge of security software and controls that protect computers and laptops.
- Strong computer skills, including advanced Excel skills.
- Executive decision-making skills and ability to work with people.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience in higher education.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information of three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.